BMW Werkz banner

High School student lookin @ the E36, your thoughts?

5K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  adycool 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have saved up about 10 grand in HS through a very awesome summer job and I am going in for my jr license soon. I was lookin at the E36 after my cousin reccomended it to me. I heard I can easily get one for under $10,000, but is this true? Would you reccomend that I get one? It was either an E36 or an Acura Integra. HOw is the upkeep/reliability and do you have any other suggestions?

thanks

#2 ·
i got a 325ic 1994(e36) as a highschool student and i love my car so much. For up keep sometimes it seems to be wack check out another 2500 thread it you can see. i got mine for about 9000 with 58000 miles so it is possible save up a little more you can get a decent m3

#3 · (Edited)
In general, second-hand cars are as reliable as you make them. Hondas are sort of an exception; for whatever reason, they just don't mind abuse. A BMW as a first car's a really good idea if you get the right one, because it's a virtual certainty that you'll love driving it and everyone else will think you're the man. However, if you buy one that hasn't been taken care of in terms of maintenance, they you'll either have to face spending a lot of money on OEM replacement parts and resume the first scenario or try to do what we kids do, go to AutoZone and put whatever they've got on there, and have it break a year or two later and do it again.

Personally, I think that ten grand for a high school student is astounding, no matter where you spend it. You can get an E36 for less than that, sure, but you're going to get one with a few miles (not too big a deal if it's been kept up) and you probably won't get the most fun features, like the big engine or immaculate paint. I think it might benefit you more to sock half of that money away for college/BMW #2/whatever, and spend five thousand on an E30 3-series or E34 5. Either of those cars will be plenty reliable and fun for a first car, and shouldn't need more than a few hundred dollars of TLC.

It's up to you what you want to do with that cash, either spend a portion of it on buying and restoring an older car, or buy a newer one and hope nothing too expensive breaks. Some of the more common E36 problems and fixes are listed here. If you want to go check some out and see just what kind of shape they're in for your price range, here's a list of what to look for. And also, if you decide that you want to try and work some of its issues out yourself, there are several do-it-yourself articles for the E36.

Finally, welcome to the forums! If you wind up getting a BMW, stick around, there are a lot of really helpful people here. Let us know how it goes!

#4 ·
I'll second that. You can get a REALLY NICE E30 and still have plenty of money left over. Then newer E30's aren't really that bad, and are easy to mod to your heart's content.

E30 Represent!!

#5 ·
hey thanks a lot dudes

I got money locked away for college, but considering that I worked my ass off for this money I kinda want to spendd it on something wild. I ALWAYS wanted a BMW ever since I saw a 750i on the road. I really would like to just spend $8,000 and want something fun to drive. I am honestly open to any bimmer with less then 60,000 miles on it. Not really leaning on a big engine but I am going to spend about $500 on a paintjob to make sure that car is black.

I want one from the 90s too, only because my friend bought a Porche 944 from the late 80s and hes had problems.

So all in all I def. want a cool fun car w/ reasonable mileage.

#7 ·
Well, the newest E30 (3 series 83-91) is still almost 15 years old, soo....

However, you won't have to worry about your rear floor crinkling like a beer can if you beat on your car. E30's don't do that. Not ALL E36's do it either, but it's not uncommon. Okay, I'm done flinging poo at E36's. The E36's have MUCH better engines (less maintenance, more power), and a more updated, popular body style. Plus, there is a much larger following in the aftermarket.

Just so you know, when we talk about "E**" it's a body style, or generation
For example, the 3 series' are E21 (78-82?) E30 (83-91) E36 (92-98?) E46 (99-05) and E90 (06-)

#9 ·
ldsbeaker said:
However, you won't have to worry about your rear floor crinkling like a beer can if you beat on your car. E30's don't do that. Not ALL E36's do it either, but it's not uncommon.
Yeah, just went through that. Subframe started tearing out and the bill almost made me cry, no summer mods for me . . . either comes down to personal preference research them both and decide which fits your personality better. You'll still be well within your price range and as long as you're selective about the final choice (ie: no lemons) you're in for a whole lot of fun. :cool:

#10 ·
:joking: I hate you! I'm almost 53 years old and FINALLY bought my first BMW 2 years ago!--'98 328i. I love it. My two cents for you would be: Don't worry so much aout the mileage, make sure the car has been well taken care of. I bought mine from a meticulous (obsessive-compulsive) owner, and at 95k miles, it drives almost like new. I would go for an older E36 with higher miles that has been well cared for, then stash the leftover money in an account for repairs/improvements. Watch out for electrical problems.

#12 ·
uhh

my parents have some sort of requirement that I geta 4 door because If I get in an accident then I will have a higher chance of survival. After looking @ the E30 & E36 I think I will rather get the E36 since it has better styling and better mileage (no offense to you E30 owners) and my parents also have a no car before 95 rule

you guys reccomend dealership or 3rd party?

#18 ·
I'm a junior too... in college. The 95 is a good year, most of the problems had been worked out by then and as previously mentioned you get a less restrictive electricals in the OB1 and easier to mod. If you are going to be paying for gas and are not a speed freak (read 6cly snob) then a 318i would be good for you to check out. I got mine over a year ago for 5k and it was a 95 and have been very happy with it. If you decide to get a 318i please get a 5spd, its worth it to learn how to drive a manual if you don't already.

#19 ·
yea man thats the other thing everyone I know says "stick man you gotta drive stick" but I dont plan on racing maybe when im out of college and get my self a M5 or something, but right now I want to get from A to B in style. So not sure about stick or auto, my friend who can drive both told me that he is buying a auto car because stick gets too annoying. If I do get a stick E36 how is the clutch for a begginner.

1 last Q:

3rd party over dealer right?

#20 ·
3rd party. Dealerships are shady characters who have no heart for the cars they sell. I found my 95m with lower mileage than most from a 62 year old retired cop. We had a great talk and both know boat loads about BMW's. In fact I still email him back adn forth to update him about the car.

Your friend doesnt appreciate cars. Maybe the stick he drives is liek a nissan sentra. When you own a BMW you'll want a stick. You'll alwyas try adn push it's limits and you'll love driving it. As of right now I dont see myself buying another automatic sports car in my lifetime. It defeats the purpose.

Here's my ride. It's fricken fast and handles like a dream: http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/gallery38.html

;)

#22 ·
Driving a stick is only annoying if you drive in heavy traffic everyday. In any other conditions it actually annoy's me to drive an auto. You'll get better mpg with the manual and I think after you learn you really will perfer it for any situation like I do (excpet for heavy traffic). The 5spd isn't just for driving "fast" or "spirited" or racing.

#23 ·
Don't make your decision on the transmission, but if at all possible I recommend finding a manual. You've driven automatics before obviously, why not go try out a stick and see the difference for yourself. If you're anything like every other teenage boy on the planet, chances are you'll just enjoy the manual more. Saves gas, more fun, keeps your head in the game, and prohibits you from talking on the phone or eating while you drive.

Chicks dig it.

#25 ·
Im a senior in high School and bought an E30 for 1900 bucks,and it was well taken care of.

the only thing wrong was the usual stuff that craps out because of age, and none of it had been fixed, so... i fixed that probably put 1000$ into it and it runs like a champ!

Whatever kind of bimmer you get, you will enjoy....i guess that is my point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.