Here's some fun BMW knowledge... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Here's some fun BMW knowledge...

I was on YouTube and was helping answer someones question on what "E" represents in the BMW world when it comes to identifying specific BMW models.

EX: E39, E46, E60, and now the F01 etc. (we call know this basic stuff so throwing it out there for the hell of it)

I went to an online translator to look up the German equivalent of "Development" because I know the the E is short for a German word meaning the same. I came back with the word Entwicklung and then proceded to answer the YouTubers question regarding chassis designations with my fancy new German word. Afterall, doesn't it make me sound smart?

So, after answering the question I go to Wikipedia and type in "Entwicklung" to see what comes up and I was actually surprised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Entwicklung series, more commonly known as the E- series, was a late-World War II attempt by Germany to produce a standardised series of tank designs.

Click Here
To View On Wikipedia

Now BMW actually uses the term "Entwicklung" in their development codes, but I find it fascinating that the term actually has origins back to WWII and I also found it fascinating that the way in which the development codes were used are very similar to how BMW uses them today. I thought this was fascinating and I thought some of you might find it interesting as well so I had to share.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Very interesting, I always presumed the early BMW's were made from recycled Panzer tanks!!

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
A NEW DAY RISES...

Car: 2008 M5, 2011 X5
Photos:
RoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud ofRoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Interesting fact my friend! Entwicklung meaning "development" seems to be another term used by BMW for its various "platforms", more specifically with respect to a chassis and its designation. As we've seen time and again, BMW will develop a platform and then create multiple different cars based on the same core, from a base model to a detuned Motorsport one.

It makes sense and is consistent that dating to WWII when we know BMW was active (and back farther with the early planes that kicked our butts time and again (and formed the basis for the beloved propeller emblem), let alone the inferior quality Russian planes which by the time of WWII were so far inferior to the German planes (and most pilots as well) that an "Ace" flyer in WWI had six or more kills and the top flier for the whole war on either side was the famed "Red Baron" Manfred von Richthofen with 81 kills whereas by WWII top German pilots on the Eastern front had over SEVEN HUNDRED KILLS! I digress this way merely to emphasize the superior quality of German engineering - and we are all the better for it now! (um, "make Bimmers/cars not war??")

Gotta love the history. SIGH.

Nice thread G.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
RoadsterMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
Very cool!

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jbracefan1977 is on a distinguished road
Wow! Very ineteresting research you've done.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

That was one cool BMW information. Now I know too.
jbracefan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk