Help w/ onboard computer functions 540I, What the - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phantomstorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Phantomstorm Send a message via MSN to Phantomstorm Send a message via Yahoo to Phantomstorm
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I made the purchase of this wonderful 1997 540I recently, but it only came with the basic manual. The on-board computer has many functions..most I have been able to figure out. A few, I am clueless about. If anyone knows about the below listed funtion questions - please help me out here.

** There are two "Timer" functions. Timer1 and Timer2. What do they do? I have set one of the Timers for 5 minutes ahead of the current time and when the time passes ..nothing happens. I mean no chime - no beep - no total melt down mode...nothing. Does anyone know what these two timers are for and how they are to be programmed??

** There is a "Memo" function. Now I have messed with this thing and found in the off mode that the clock does not chime on the hour. So, I believe that it just chimes off the top of the hour. However, the chime happens 1 minute prior to the hour. Is this normal? Is there a way to set the Memo feature so that it chimes at the hour?

** I understand you can select the various functions for viewing by pressing the Signal Lever inward. This then displays the functions on the cluster. BUT, if you hold the Signal Lever button in you get "PROG1" to display. Press it again and nothing happens. What the heck is "PROG1" and what does it do? I am certain it has some super cool function...but I am clueless.

I know these things seem simple..but hey..I just want to have a complete understanding of this machine ...even that sucky rear seat cupholder that seems to be there for the sole purpose of being broken.

Thank you all.............. Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk