BMW drops "The Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
BMW drops "The Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/07/b...iving-machine/
BMW has used the tagline "Ultimate Driving Machine" for 31 years. During that time its sales in the U.S. have gone from 15,007 units in 1974 the year before the ad slogan began to 266,200 units in 2005. While producing outstanding automobiles during that time may have something to do with the brand's success, no doubt the tagline is considered one of the best in the automotive biz (See Poll Results: Best Tagline Ever - Battle Royale). Regardless, BMW is dropping the successful phrase and replacing it with "A Company of Ideas".

We're of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it camp, and Advertising Age has penned a nice article detailing why corporate culture often likes to change a winning slogan. AdAge also lists some of the monumental failures that have resulted. Hopefully we're wrong and BMW sales won't suffer from the new slogan, but we doubt the public will be able to think of Bimmers as anything but Ultimate Driving Machines for a very long time.

kman: THE CHERRY BOMB GLASSPACK GUY!
GLASSPACKIN SINCE 12/2007

b5.5 passat 1.8t gls
e24 635 csi

Last edited by kman; 08-12-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 05:14 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
the new slogan sucks

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
5th Gear Member

Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold
That makes me cry on the inside.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:29 AM
n00b

ericwebber is on a distinguished road
Rumors of BMW Slogan Change are Wrong

In the August 7 edition of Advertising Age, columnist Al Ries claimed that in an upcoming advertising campaign, BMW would be dropping its legendary slogan “The Ultimate Driving Machine.” Ries was significantly off-base. First of all, BMW has no intention of dropping, altering or in any way moving away from that great line. In the development of the latest ad campaign, the first from BMW’s new advertising agency GSD&M, the issue wasn’t even discussed. Ries took some bad information and then compounded the problem by making poor assumptions based on comments that he did not even try to verify.

The “upcoming” campaign to which Ries referred actually began running more than three months ago, on May 5, in print, TV and online. “The Ultimate Driving Machine” slogan is prominently featured in all of the ads. There was also quite a bit written about the campaign launch in print and online. It appears that Ries was confused by a mention of the overarching theme of the campaign, “A Company of Ideas.” That’s not a slogan, and those actual words don’t appear in the ads in any way that would be confused as a replacement for “The Ultimate Driving Machine.” In the marketing business, it’s known as a positioning statement.” It represents a way of talking about the company, as opposed to a specific slogan that identifies the brand.

BMW is a remarkably innovative company. Their corporate culture, specifically their independence and encouragement of creative thinking and problem solving is what allows them to produce the ultimate driving machine. They are very much a company of ideas and they have the chops to prove it. The ad campaign so misinterpreted by Ad Age gives consumers a look at some of the ways BMW backs up that claim. The two things, a positioning and a slogan are very important but also very different things. The former is a broad theme, the latter a very specific word or phrase. Separate but complimentary. It’s a distinction that any marketing student knows. Al Ries and Ad Age certainly should have too.

To get a better look, check out the “Uniquely BMW” section of www.bmwusa.com.

Eric Webber
Communications Director
GSD&M
#5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Does anybody else think it's cool that the BMW ad campaign firm posted on our board?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 AM
5th Gear Member

red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice red330Iperfpkg is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to red330Iperfpkg
i do.

sig done by SpeedInfusion

2001 740i sport
2003 330i ZHP
2003 M5
2005 A4 1.8T
2006 750Li sport

#7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:10 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
kewl beans fo sho

#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
so theyre not changing it??? THANK GOD

#10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
5th Gear Member

e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of e30dream has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to e30dream
and i just told my mom too...

#11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
damn dude i was seriously pissed for a sec.. if it had changed to, well, frankly anything, i'd up and go buy a porsche.. after all, there is no substitute :P

#12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
that's pretty cool they posted here..clearly that goes to show we are constantly under surveillance(sp?)...

Honestly, I don't care if BMW sales goes down..well I do..but at the same time don't, because it won't change my love for their automobiles, whether other people like them or not.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 PM
5th Gear Member

Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold Devinish is a splendid one to behold
That makes my heart happy!

Thanks for verifying that for us!!! BMW FTW!!!!!

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
werd that was cool
#15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member