Blowing ECU's - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
classic325 is an unknown quantity at this point
Some help needed here people- here is my situation.

Recently my 87 3.25i Sports developed a problem with the auto gear box. My instrument light came on and restricted the car to 3rd gear only. Then the problem went away(I'm an Engineer so I know they never truly go away!!)

All was well for a couple of weeks until I decided to give it a bit stick. By the time I got home I'd lost my fuel gauge indicator, my rev counter and 3rd and 4th gears....after I turned it off it has yet to start again. A year ago the ECU blew up(and I mean bang!) and I've got a suspicion it's done it again. Inspection of the PCB will show me but my question is this....can anyone tell me where the Voltage regulator is ? Is it within the alternator? Do I just replace the alternator?

I'm wary of replacing the ECU again without solving the problem of irregular voltages and currents being channeled to it! What can I do ?
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It's no the pace of life that bothers me...it's the sudden stop at the end! </td></tr></table><div class='signature'>
classic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Im pretty sure the voltage regulator on your car rides "piggyback" on the back of the alternator and is replaceable separately

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk