Bad News... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

Car: 00 M Coupe
Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Okay, my car, and everything on it is just fine, except for one...two...minor things...

My power steering leaks fluid hardcore and needs full refill every 4 days(not as big as the problem of what i am about to say).

my driveshaft/driveline(the big steel black pole...LOL), that drives your back wheels(from the tranny), is hitting the underpart of my car, and makes a really loud knocking noise(whether its in gear or not), if my car is rolling, it makes this noise, and the faster i go, the faster it knocks.

I had to get it towed home by our van last night, at 5mph, which means that it would only knock about 60times per minute.

It sucks....and this means that if i want my car fixed, that i need to have it towed to the shop.(hopefully triple A would be willing to do that).

Im not sure what exactly its hitting, but its metal ofcourse.

For those with E30's, you will understand what im talking about(location wise i think).

Okay, where the cat is, right above that(after the tranny mounts), there is like a big metal heatsheild bolted to the undercarriage of the car, i believe its hitting that, so i think a driveline mount or something is either gone, or EXTREMELY worn.

any suggestions/commet/money to be donated, is appreciated. thanks.

-Dan

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
spiff325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bimmin'88 is an unknown quantity at this point
That sucks!....there is a pre-load bearing in close proximaty to the drive line yoke..maybe the prob?? Its housed in a plastic casing looked weak to me.

Taking the driveshaft out is not that bad...I had to do that to my car as soon as i got it home to remove and fix the gas tank...it could save you big $$ to do it yourself.

good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos:
spiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud ofspiff325is has much to be proud of
but i believe i have to drop the entire exhaust system, and i heard thats a bitch.

But id rather pay my mechanic to do, cuz he does a really good job, and id rather not mess it up.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Spiff325

There are two possibilities to your problem:

A: BMW driveshafts consists of two pieces connected together by A CENTER SUPPORT BEARING about $80.00.
B: closer towards the tranny there is A FLEXIBLE DISK (rubber) $40 which acts as a coupler plus a cushion. This cushion also dampens unwanted driveshaft vibrations.

Check the above items and enjoy your car afterward.
regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
i think God wants you to buy a e34... they are the ultimate bimmers and they never break down.

jk. i hope its nothing costly bro ! good lck
Old 10-07-2004, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bimmin'88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by spiff325is@Oct 7 2004, 06:01 PM
but i believe i have to drop the entire exhaust system, and i heard thats a bitch.

But id rather pay my mechanic to do, cuz he does a really good job, and id rather not mess it up.
[snapback]207229[/snapback]
Yep...the exhaust has to go...its not over your head...its just bolts. Either way I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck.

It sucks when the Bimmers down... ghead
Old 10-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos:
yeh, this weekend, we are putting it on stands and such, and are going to start the process in the garage, hopefully i can fix the problem(which is mostlikely the guibo or a mount according to my dad) before the 30th which is homecoming, cuz id like to be able to take my car to it.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
so i found out, that it was the Center Bearing on my driveshaft that was making all the noise. apparently, the center bearing broke in half..(somehow), and so the u-joints were rubbing on that bar that holds the bearing up, so that was the DUDUDUDUUDUDUDUD noise...

we just ordered a new guibo and driveshaft, so we will install it soon sometime.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as e36 goes.. dropping the exhaust system isnt bad, if u have two people and a bunch of jack stands, its fine..

when u put ur center bearing on, make sure u preload it.. that is when u stretch the rubber.. i cant explain it too well.. pelican parts has a whole DIY that is very nice.

why are u getting a new driveshaff, do u really need one?
xsperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 1996 328i
Photos:
Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
My power steering fluid was leaking like mad too.
I had my steering rack rebuilt, that fixed it.

Four Five Six - It's on.
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos:
how much did the rebuilding of the steering rack cost?

we are getting new shaft so that everything can be rebalanced, and you should have a special machine or whatnot to do the cetner bearing, thats what i hear.

and we thinks it better to just get a new one.

somehow, the guibo was missing a bolt? so we are getting a new one, cuz the old guibo is worn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk