BMW Werkz banner

ABS sensor light fault..

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GreenDragon 
#1 ·
Ok, life goes on..

Today I jacked up my ride using my certified BMW car jack on each corner of my bim to take my wheels off one at a time to wax them and also to check out the rotors and pads to make sure everything's ..But I think it caused a fault in one of my sensors 'cause when I was finished I started her up and the ABS sensor light came on and stayed on..

I did a little research and came across this post on another forum..

I recently has the same problem. It is the ABS sensor probalbly on one
of the front wheels. Eventually what will happen is that the light will
stay on every time you will turn ignition on. ABS stops working in that
case. While reading this digest several months ago, someone suggested to
clean the sensor, however, it is ridiculous and stupid suggestion. IT
WILL NOT HELP, whoever gave that suggestion had no idea of what he/she
was talking about. The only way is to replace the sensor, the sensor for
the front wheel cost $95, or at least that is how much I paid for it on
You can test the sensor by
disconecting it from connector and attaching ohmmeter to it, if the
resistance is infinite, that means that the sensor is bad and needs
replacement. The proccess of replacement takes about 15 minutes. You can
find more material on replacing the sensor from Chiltons Book.
Defective front wheel sensors is a very common problem in BMWs.

I'm calling the dealer on Monday and will post up!!

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Taking the tires off f'ed up your ABS sensor? That's messed up. Did you check to make sure it didn't just losen up accidentaly when you pulled the tire? I was considering rotateing my tires this week end myself, but now you got me double thinking that (plus I can't balance them so I may just take it in anyway).

95$ is quite a bit of scratch for the sensor, but the fact that ABS won't work if the light is on makes it kinda worth it. Shit Ski, I feel for ya. Let us know what it turns out to be.

#3 ·
why would you want ABS? I cant stand it, i pulled the fuse on mine cause i like to have maximum control over the car. Sometimes it benefits to lock the wheels, especially when you have very good breaks and know the front and rear threshholds.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Fox@Apr 18 2003, 03:10 AM
why would you want ABS? I cant stand it, i pulled the fuse on mine cause i like to have maximum control over the car. Sometimes it benefits to lock the wheels, especially when you have very good breaks and know the front and rear threshholds.
wtf that isnt very good reasoning. how often do u lock up your brakes anyway? and what kind of brakes do u have? maybe on a bicycle it gives more control to lock the rear wheel during sharp turns, but that doesnt apply to cars. your still putting equal pressure on the front brakes and could easily create understeer. also in wet roads ABS could save ur ass in so many ways it makes no sense to cut off your ABS. ABS doesnt interfere like ASC or DSC, it only activates in emergency unexpected situations, and acts to give u more control.

if ur a fan of braking oversteer then use the handbrake.

#7 ·
Yep, that's me. Plastered after a friends wedding.

Good to hear the light went off. Probably some dirt or 'scare tactic' put in place by BMW :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.