97 540I Removing Automatic Shift Knob - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:04 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phantomstorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Phantomstorm Send a message via MSN to Phantomstorm Send a message via Yahoo to Phantomstorm
(Thread Starter)
Arrow

Hello All! I placed this in the 5-series forum and will try here as well!

I have a 1997 BMW 540I Automatic with a leather shift knob. I have recently made the purchase of an upgraded burlwood shift knob. I was told at the time of the purchase, that all I had to do was pull straight up on the old shift knob and it would come out of its metal jacket.
This does not seem to be the solution. I pulled up with as much force as I dared. I am not totally certain this is the way it is to be done and certainly don't want to damage my shifter. I pulled back the leather cover and cannot find any screw or allen securing it in place. The new burlwood shift knob does not have any screw or allen on it as well. It have what looks like a locking collar..I just dont know.
Can anyone please tell me how I can remove the old shift knob so I can replace it with my new one? Any and all help would be so welcome.

Thank you - Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
pull harder! theres nothing holding it on, they can be really tough to get off sometimes, keep trying

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk