BMW Werkz banner

Modifications...

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Fox 
#1 ·
I have been hearing lately that modding a car doesnt really help. Such as new intakes, exhaust, etc (basic shit).. Is style the only way to go? Take into consideration I have a BMW 325i that I am getting ready to turn into a beast of a machine... So what I am asking to you genius bmw enthusiasts... What mods are worth it?

Heres my list so far performance:
Suspension (done)
Supercharger/turbocharger/nos (which one?)
Intake
Exhaust-
-headers
-downpipe
-muffler
Clutch
Camshaft
and maybe someday
M3/M5 enginge (with rear differential)

Heres my styling list:
Euro corners
Custom hood scoop (kinda like a mustang)
Painted sideskirts
Super Clear Coat
White neon underbody lights
and a lot more that ill never end up doing except maybe ferrari racing seats

See less See more
#4 ·
out of the things you listed.... ill explain each one ( i dont know what you have but ill assume e36, they seem to come and go the easiest)

Supercharger/turbocharger/nos (which one?)
Intake
Exhaust-
-headers
-downpipe
-muffler
Clutch
Camshaft
M3/M5 enginge (with rear differential)

Intake - its not gonna do anything but look good untill you do one of a few things
1. Bore/stroke your engine for larger displacement
2. XXcharge your engine
3. Get at least a 272 or more aggressive cam

Exhaust
-Headers - not worth the $5-900 price tag untill you do the above ::should be the last of the exhaust to do::
-downpipe - uhh... turbocharge your car first then think about it.... NA cars dont have downpipes
-Muffler - Sound and Ego only,OEM exhausts are free flowing exhausts to start with. I recommend strogmund
*You also forgot free-er flowing catalyst, if your car has high miles (90k and up) its probly starting to get full and this may be a large improvement in sound and power*

-Clutch - one of 2 things happens, roll around 120k (or less if you abuse clutch) and your clutch starts to slip or you have done all of above and are pushin some power. I would recommend something like a 4 puck clutch. Very streetable yet grabs are awesome ( i have felt these on turbo AWD eclipses that have 250 AWHP... very very ... NICE launches)

-Cams - for your street car i would suggest a schrick 272/284 cam. Not smog legal, so if you live in cali... look elsewhere for power. If you want to go for something harsher... schrick 288... i dunno about this one... may be to aggressive for street... never seen it. A cam will be a nice increase in power

-M3/M5 engine - Get a bank account... get $18,000.... buy the parts... Throw away everything you spent on above because now you have a totally new platform.

Hope i helped

#5 ·
Note i forgot something that i feel is the best way to get power. 10.4:1 compression pistons (id like 11.1:1 but 10.4 is the highest i can find) BMW comes with some pretty moderate comp. pistons, 8.8 for e30... i dunno for e36 but id guess like... 9:1 maybe (???) The only downside is you have to get higher octane gas.

Note: I forgot that the cams i stated are for e30... i dont know if they are different degrees for e36

#8 ·
I think youd be better off just spending around 3 grand getting exhaust, intake, 272 cam, and the highest compression pistons you can find. If you spend all that money supercharginng your car youll be loosing a LOT of it cause it will have no resale value compared to what you spend on it. Plan on spending 5k on a SCer. 330 engine swap... kinda a waste of money.

#10 ·
has anyone else noticed he wants a hood scoop? and underbody neon lights? :blink: :blink:

#11 ·
272 deg cams are WAY too wild for first time modders, don't do it man! 264 if you want a walk on the wild side and are willing to have idle problems. intake and exhaust are gonna net you maybe 20-30HP between the two of them, bore and stroke are only for naturally aspirated loyalists who know how to get greasy, again not a first time modder activity. you're best off with intake and exhaust until you have the $$ for a supercharger or turbo kit.

#12 ·
My only input here - You need to consider exhaust as a system comprised of headers, intake, cat, and cat back setup in order to get the most out of it. You're not going to get huge gains by replacing these pieces seperately, but you will gain (maybe 10 horses?) by replacing the whole system. Another consideration with exhaust is the pipe diameter. I've heard that a stepped system (assuming 2.25 inch collectors at the headers you would gradually step up to 2.5 or greater to through the system) works best due to exhaust gas flow etc. If the car breathes better, end expells exhaust more efficiently, you gain more than just HP. Your car will be more fuel efficient, sound better, etc.

#13 ·
buy an air cooled 993

#14 ·
Originally posted by cam540@Apr 21 2003, 11:52 AM
you can get a M3 engine for 5k
Yea and theres still at least $3k in expenses. Like new transmission, new rear end, fixing up the bay (always break something while doing engine swap) and then the swap itself... I truely entirely doubt he will do a first time swap himself... i know i didnt. That costs about 1000 itself to pay someone else to do it.

#17 ·
Don't buy new headers if your getting a turbo.

#18 ·
lol yea... that would suck what a waste of cash. Might as well buy a new intake manifold then get a twin screw supercharger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.