2001 740 Sport Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snwbrdng5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to snwbrdng5 Send a message via Yahoo to snwbrdng5
(Thread Starter)
Hey, I'm new to the forum. I currently drive a Benz and am looking to get rid of it and get a 2001 740 Sport. I've been on e38.org and have performed what I belive to be a decent amount of due diligence on the 740s. Here is my problem. A specific car I am looking at on eBay is a 2001 740iL with the Sport Package & wide-screen nav. I ran the VIN (WBAGH83431DP26320) through the VIN decoder at http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi. It comes up as a 740iL with an M62 engine and a A5S 440Z transmission. After reading "How to tell if a car has the Sport Package" at http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/f...=3495178&page=1, two things were brought to my attention. The first being the fact that the Sport Package added a Steptronic Transmission (with lower final drive ratio) and the second being that the steering wheel was an 3-spoke M-Style steering wheel. Obviously the M rims are on the car. I'm afraid that the dealer has a 740iL with a rim upgrade rather than a 740iL with a true Sport Package. The reason behind my thinking is because in the pictures of the car, the gear selector has PRND432 and the steering wheel is 4-spoke.

Should the 740iL Sport come with a gear selector that is PRND+/- to prove that it in fact has the Steptronic Transmission and lower final drive ration? Also, does the 740iL Sport have to have the 3-spoke M-Style steering wheel? Any help would be much appreciated. What I am really looking for is the original 2001 BMW 7-Series brochure in .pdf format so I can look through it and determine what should be on the car and what should not.

Thanks,

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 08:34 AM
n00b

snwbrdng5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to snwbrdng5 Send a message via Yahoo to snwbrdng5
(Thread Starter)
Shouldn't you also be able to tell if it has the Sport Package based on the VIN considering it was a factory option?
#3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 03:44 PM
n00b

mylehigh2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 740i with the sport package including steptronic and the 3-spoke wheel, and I also have looked at 740i's without the sport package. You are right that a 740 with a PRND432 selector is not a true sport package-equpped model.

Did you ever find that 2001 7-series brochure in .pdf? I'd like one.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk