1990 BMW 7 series Maintenance Costs? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk Bringing the BMW community together, sharing NEWS, stories, and experiences.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
swomper005 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the chance to buy a 1990 BMW 7 series sedan for $3700.00. The car has 220,000 on it's odometer. The engine was replaced 3 years ago at a BMW Dealership. The new engine has 44,000 miles on it. The Car has had new rotors, radiator and the Air Conditioning system switched over to the new RJ system instead of Freon. The car drives great and has very little rust. I am thinking about purchasing this for my 16 year old daughter. What will the annual Service and Maintenance costs be for this car? I have never owned a BMW. Is it worth it for her 1st car?
swomper005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ski
Sheer Driving Pleasure

Car:
Photos:
Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a good deal, I guess, w/o looking at it or driven it..imo that's an awfully large ride for your daughter to start out on, trying to manuver that baby won't be easy for her..or perhaps it will..dunno..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
'06 330xi Loaded
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Scarface is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Scarface
Quote:
Originally posted by swomper005@Sep 8 2003, 11:50 AM
I have the chance to buy a 1990 BMW 7 series sedan for $3700.00. The car has 220,000 on it's odometer. The engine was replaced 3 years ago at a BMW Dealership. The new engine has 44,000 miles on it. The Car has had new rotors, radiator and the Air Conditioning system switched over to the new RJ system instead of Freon. The car drives great and has very little rust. I am thinking about purchasing this for my 16 year old daughter. What will the annual Service and Maintenance costs be for this car? I have never owned a BMW. Is it worth it for her 1st car?
I am not in any way trying to start a flame war here, but I would suggest for $3700, buying your daughter a nice used Honda. I know from experience, I have owned 2 Honda's and 1 Acura and their maintenance and reliability are excellent. Especially for her first car, I think the 7 series would just be too big for her, and you can find a nice Civic, or Accord, or even and Integra with fairly low miles in that price range EASY that will be very reliable and the maintenance is low on them too! But if you feel the need for her to have a BMW, then by all means get it, it sounds like a good deal...I would take it to a specialized, certified BMW mechanic and let him check everything out on the car. BMW's are great cars but I stress again, for a first car I would seriously consider the Honda idea! Hope I helped you some!

David
Old 09-09-2003, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
Quote:
Originally posted by Ski@Sep 8 2003, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a good deal, I guess, w/o looking at it or driven it..imo that's an awfully large ride for your daughter to start out on, trying to manuver that baby won't be easy for her..or perhaps it will..dunno..
i agree with ski. plus with that many miles you never know what can go wrong, not that they arent reliable, but sometimes the sellers 'forget' to mention some important details.

i'd say get her a E30 eta (3series 84-88). they have extremely reliable well built engines(practically bullet proof), very nimble and manuverable, get great gas mileage, and have a 4500rpm redline to keep her out of trouble. its a great economy car with a good amount of low end tq for daily driving.
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 325iX, 735i, X5 4.4i
Photos:
Spetsnaz Op is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spetsnaz Op
I think the 7er would make a pretty good 1st car, speaking from a 16 y/o perspective. And as the youngist person in the family, i have seen my sister go to college , and a big car can be an advantage. Folding rear seats are very useful, i dont know if the 7 has those. I think if she likes it and you ahve no problem with maintainence you should go for it because you can carry lots of stuff come college time...

but i would want something more nimble personally, and just rent a u-haul
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk