BMW Werkz banner

XM or Sirius?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
Im not planning on having this E46 for much more than 1 or so and don't want to spend the $ upgrading the system.

However, I wanted to know the difference between the two services of Satelite Radio.

Secondly, I'm a bit confused with the equipment options or how it integrates with a stock stereo and its sound quality.

jllphan?

RE

#2 ·
I know this is an old post but I just installed the Soundgate adaptor that lets you put in the Pioneer 903XM radio unit in an `01 E46--the whole works plugs into the CD changer port in the trunk. The sound quality is quite excellent.

The catch is that only `03 and above cars can get the song playing/text information on the radio display. Changing channels is a little bit of a pain due to the interface on my older radio but I like it because it's a cleaner install than having a separate tuner in the passenger compartment--I'd rather have people look in and see nothing worth stealing.

I previously had Sirius at home and decided to try XM in this car. I'd say it's a toss-up for me, but a lot of people prefer XM because songs don't repeat as often--they tend to play a wider variety than Sirius does.

The reason I'm looking through the old list messages is because I'm now unhappy with the non-HK speakers!

#3 ·
I'dd reply too, just because this question comes up often enough if someone seacrhes first it should answer a few questions.

If you want the factory sat, then you'll have to go sirius. If you are doing an FM mod or have/will buy an aftermarket sat radio, go XM. They have a greater variety of music and the talk channels aren't too bad either. Sirius does have more talk though. The SQ on each should be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.