XM prob - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Defector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
(Thread Starter)
So I did some work on the car today which took me a lot longer than expected. I moved my LED to its permanent home, but my WD lied and told me some wires were switched 12v when they werent. Got that sorted out though I'll post a DIY later.

So after that I decide to hook up the XM and actually subsribe, since my free one ran out last friday and I didn't install the power wires when I installed the box. I had hooked up twice ghetto-style to make sure it work by pluging bar wire into the pos and neg bat terms. Worked fine. Now I go actually install it properly and it won't work. The display goes back and forth between no signal, loading, and ch 0 or 1. There is no sound with the ch 0 or 1 though, but the radio ID lights up fine.

Help?

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
so it powers up but no audio?

The sat radio boxes are finicky, and the antennas are even more so. You may just need to unplug the din plug, wait, and try it again.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Defector

(Thread Starter)
I was hoping it was that. Any ideas if it's not?

Also, should I fuse it? The install directions mention nothing of it, but I don't like the idea of an unfused-permanently installed device.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
#4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:52 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
Its not gonna hurt to fuse it... better safe than sorry.

2008 128i Jetblack
#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
The display is pretty informative as to what is wrong. No signal general means that your antenna is not working properly. If you do as stated above, and you get the "no signal" message again, do the same aforementioned procedure with the antenna. The antenna lead is VERY fragile and you don't want it to get creased or you are f#$cked and have to go get another.

I would deffinately fuse it, but I have yet to see an Alpine XM box without an inline fuse on the constant lead (yellow, I believe). IF there isn't one for some reason, just trow one on dere!

#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Defector

(Thread Starter)
Damn, I bet I creased the wire moving the box into position.

#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Defector

(Thread Starter)
No probs after all. I assumed the terrestial repeaters would let me pick up a signal in the garage. Guess not. Backed out and it works fine.

That reminds me...its time to subscribe!

#8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 PM
WOT in Reverse

HA HA HA HA HA! I thought surely you were outside! No worries, the first time I installed mine in my last car--> hooked it all up, no signal. Called Sirius, they couldn't figure it out. Took it all a part, reinstalled it...no signal. 2.5 hours of this lead me to the conclusion that I might have better luck if I backed out of the install bay!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics