what size wire to run for multiple amps? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
what size wire to run for multiple amps?

da_bull, ur expertise is needed yet again...

i pretty much sold the jetta already, but took out the amps and subs, and just left the headunit

ive learned alot about wiring amps and subs and stuff in my past cars, what im still not too sure on is the whole wire gauge size thing...

ill get right to the point now...

i have 2 amps...a 500 watt monoblock for the subs, and a 600 watt 4 channel for the speakers...how should i approach the power wiring? should i get a thick power wire from the battery into a distribution block? or 2 thinner wires and just stick each one into an amp? what gauge size? i wanna do my next install as clean and professionally looking as i can, without taking it to someone.

should i get a capacitor?

also, i will be installing an indash flip out dvd headunit thingy, but that i know how to install

EDIT: if i decide to not use my headunits amp remote turn on wire, and instead decide to put a switch to manually turn on and off the amps, as in getting the remote current from the battery, what fuse, if any, should i use?

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness

Last edited by MiguelACA; 08-13-2007 at 02:48 PM.
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
4 strands of 00 gauge should be enough...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
ummm...so should i run all of them from the battery? or....sorry, i dont get ur post...

edit, actually...i picture that...the 4 00 strands...thats thicker than a garden hose...lol

Last edited by MiguelACA; 08-13-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelACA
da_bull, ur expertise is needed yet again...

i pretty much sold the jetta already, but took out the amps and subs, and just left the headunit

ive learned alot about wiring amps and subs and stuff in my past cars, what im still not too sure on is the whole wire gauge size thing...

ill get right to the point now...

i have 2 amps...a 500 watt monoblock for the subs, and a 600 watt 4 channel for the speakers...how should i approach the power wiring? should i get a thick power wire from the battery into a distribution block? or 2 thinner wires and just stick each one into an amp? what gauge size? i wanna do my next install as clean and professionally looking as i can, without taking it to someone.

should i get a capacitor?

also, i will be installing an indash flip out dvd headunit thingy, but that i know how to install

EDIT: if i decide to not use my headunits amp remote turn on wire, and instead decide to put a switch to manually turn on and off the amps, as in getting the remote current from the battery, what fuse, if any, should i use?
I usually like the one large wire to a distribution, but it depends on the car. One strand of 4 gauge should be enough. Fuse/breaker it at the battery, as close as you can to the battery.

The rule of thumb about capicitors is 1 farad for every 1000 watts. I would get one for your system, you're right there, and it'll help with the headlights dimming with the bass notes. Some capacitors have the distribution built in and are pretty clean that way. Something like this would also keep you from buying an additional distribution block after the cap in the back. Put the cap as close to the amps as you can cleanly.

I really dont like putting a switch in for the turn on. We used to install them for people at my old shop, but its cool for about a week, then you just end up leaving it on, and sure enough leave it on overnight (maybe not you, but your designated driver, sister, mom, someone) one time and wake up the next morning to a dead battery. You can do it easily enough and I can help you out doing it, but the switch will have to be on every time your want to listen to something, and I can't figure out any situation where someone would want the radio/dvd on but not the amps. Either way, I can help ya out...

Good luck...
Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
cool, so 4 ga wire from battery to a distribution block, then what should i use for each amp? 8 ga enough? how about for ground? 8 ga ground on each amp enough? also, should i fuse each power wire that goes from thr distribution block to each amp?

Last edited by MiguelACA; 08-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
im just full of questions, what amp fuse should i use on the 4 ga wire at the battery?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
What if he puts a relay inline with the switch? The relay coil can be energized from the battery ignition, or from the accesory position in the key, so that when teh car is off, the amps are off regardless of whether he forgot to turn off the switch
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Quote:
cool, so 4 ga wire from battery to a distribution block, then what should i use for each amp? 8 ga enough? how about for ground? 8 ga ground on each amp enough? also, should i fuse each power wire that goes from thr distribution block to each amp?
8ga should be fine for each amp as long as its relatively short. Its not a bad idea to fuse it in the back too. Yeah at least use an 8g ground for each amp. You always want to use the same size wire for your ground that you do for the power.

Also, take a look at your factory battery wiring. If you have a scrawny piece of 10-12 ga wire for an accessory ground (one 6ga. for the starter and usually a little bitty 10-12ga wire to the inner fender for all of your accessory grounds, i.e. brake lights, rewind lights, license plate lights, dome, etc.). Get rid of that wire and add at least a piece of 8ga from the battery to the fender. Your car uses the metal in the body as the return back to the battery and if its not very big, that can very easily be a bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVWguy
im just full of questions, what amp fuse should i use on the 4 ga wire at the battery?
Check the owners manual on the amps and see what they recommend, add them together and fuse it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that daniel dude
What if he puts a relay inline with the switch? The relay coil can be energized from the battery ignition, or from the accesory position in the key, so that when teh car is off, the amps are off regardless of whether he forgot to turn off the switch
Actually the easiest way is to put the switch on the remote wire so if you turn the radio off, or the key off, it'll keep the dead batteries at bay. But what you are talking about would work too. Theres about a half dozen ways we could wire it. Relays scare some people

Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
cool, thanks alot!

i want to start buying the little things now, like the distributor block and fuses holders and stuff like that, dont want to buy a kit, cuz i may buy a bimmer, and all that extra power/ground wire will go to waste with the battery in the trunk

Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Unless you buy a 5er, then they're under the hood...

Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
Unless you buy a 5er, then they're under the hood...

learn something new, but yea, im trying hard to get an e46, how hard is it to run wires through those? i guess since the battery is in the trunk, i can run speaker wires down one side and rca's down the other no? it was such a pain in the ass to run 3 pairs of rca's and 4 pairs of speaker wire down ONE side of the jetta, i still have no idea how i managed to hide all that cable???

and because i was bored, a few pics of the audio stuff thats going into my future ride, may not be the best, but it gets the job done! and after i got my window broken and all my shit stolen....im not looking to spend too much anymore!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Quote:
learn something new, but yea, im trying hard to get an e46, how hard is it to run wires through those? i guess since the battery is in the trunk, i can run speaker wires down one side and rca's down the other no? it was such a pain in the ass to run 3 pairs of rca's and 4 pairs of speaker wire down ONE side of the jetta, i still have no idea how i managed to hide all that cable???

and because i was bored, a few pics of the audio stuff thats going into my future ride, may not be the best, but it gets the job done! and after i got my window broken and all my shit stolen....im not looking to spend too much anymore!
All these cars are put together well, hence tearing into them and running wires are kind of a pain in any of them. Not REAL bad, just time consuming. I am guessing BMW didnt ever think anyone would want to upgrade anything. Molded carpets and form-fitting door sill plates, make it a little awkward to run wires. But at least you wont have to run power cable through there. As short of a run you have, you could just run 2 strands of 8 ga. straight to each amp (through fuses of course).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics