What Size Are The Stock Speakers? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:07 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mjolnir2k is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I apologize as I am sure this has been answered 1,000 times on this forum, but my searches have yielded no help.

Can someone tell me the sizes for the speakers in a 1998 328i (Harmon Kardon).

Thanks in advance.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>BMW 328i (e36)
Sport Package
Alpine CD/ Orion 500.1 / Orion XTR Pro 10</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:11 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
This is the wrong forum... I'll move your post into the correct forum.. you might get a better answer there...

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:05 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are 5.25" in the four corners, if it has separate tweeters, a 1-1.25" will fit in there.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:03 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
5.25 in the bottom panels.
3.5 in the doors
not sure of the tweeters

4 in the rear deck

#5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
ya... 5.25 in front... 3.5 door, 1 inch tweeter, 4inch in rear deak!! but IMO, 4 inch in back is bullshit!! lol

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:00 AM
n00b

NoCal328i is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been looking at speaker options, but I kind of want to stick with the stock HU if possible. I also have the HK 10 speaker system. Now half of the front speakers are blown and I haven't even really been pushing the system.

I'm thinking of going with MB Quartz components in front and 6x9s in the rear. Are there any problems with just hooking the new speakers up and adding an amp or are there any special things I need to do?

Thanks for any input.

Here are the speakers I'm considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sH1TNAP09v0/c...800&I=049RCE213

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sH1TNAP09v0/c...300&I=049RCE269
#7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 08:17 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by NoCal328i@Mar 20 2005, 12:00 AM
I've been looking at speaker options, but I kind of want to stick with the stock HU if possible.* I also have the HK 10 speaker system.* Now half of the front speakers are blown and I haven't even really been pushing the system.

I'm thinking of going with MB Quartz components in front and 6x9s in the rear.* Are there any problems with just hooking the new speakers up and adding an amp or are there any special things I need to do?

Thanks for any input.

Here are the speakers I'm considering:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sH1TNAP09v0/c...800&I=049RCE213

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sH1TNAP09v0/c...300&I=049RCE269
[snapback]314987[/snapback]
You may have a difficult time installing 6x9" in the rear of your car, since it calls for 4". You will have to modify the rear deck to get those in there. If you can enlarge it to a 6" hole and "bottom mount" them, thats all you really need. Looking through the hole, if you can see about 60-70% of the overall speaker, you will get the full output, any less and the speaker cant breathe, much like a restricted exhaust. As far a the MB Quarts go (I know I'll probably get some responses over this), they are a little harsh for my taste. The titanium tweeters they use are not pleasant to listen to after an extended period of time (listening fatigue). If you havent puschased them yet, check out this comparison:

5.25s: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vEAiWt5vRoi/c...213=on&x=22&y=5
6x9s: (if you want to tackle them): http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qGJlSxEd0Vs/c...269=on&x=21&y=6

Its a bigger tweeter, and the material is a textile (soft dome). This will give you more than enough sound and I can listen to mine loud for long periods of time without my ears hurting.

You can notice this partially in the frequency response as the MB's play up to 32K, the human ear cant hear above 20K, so those are unnecessary frequencies. Some women have been recorded as to being able to hear 25K, but guys are limited, and really no music is up in that range anyways.

The cymbals that are used in most music play around 8-12K. The titanium in the MBs are REALLY accented in that range, which is why they have a 0-6db cut on for the tweeters and the Infinity's dont. If you use the cut in the MBs, all of those frequencies go through a ceramic resistor, which works good for heat, not for audio.

The Infifntys are 5db more sensitive, which means in the same car, same amp, everthing else indentical, the Infinitys are louder, much louder.

3 year waranty, the "plus one" feature, cheaper, thinner, the tweeters swivel, many things are better about the Infinitys, but now that you can compare the two on paper, go and listen to the both of them in a store if you can. Listen to the same song (bring in you own cd), same headunit, and REALLY listen to the differences. Shut out everthing around, and listen. Oh yeah, then go back to Crutchfield and make your purchase :P

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics