BMW Werkz banner

Upgrading Business Speakers in '99 540/6

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 ·
With my recent purchase of a 2006 Odyssey with the excellent DVD system, I have become painfully reminded of how low the fidelity is on my all-too-stock 1999 540's "Business" non-DSP system. No highs and no lows, yet it isn't Bose! As poorly as the OEM BMW unit sounds, and despite the fact I have a wonderful Pioneer KEH-4400 head unit just sitting in a box in my garage, I'd rather not monkey with the BMW's OEM head unit, mostly because of its integration with the OBC.

So I ordered speakers today:
1) Infinity Basslink subwoofer
2) Infinity Reference 5-1/4" Component speakers for the front doors.

Bought them from my trusted Crutchfield source, from their Scratch-N-Dent inventory, which is how I usually buy from Crutchfield (you get full manufacturer-certified warranty, but at a lower price than Crutchfield's usual gouge).

I am hopeful that the front Infinity speakers will brighten up the highs a lot and that the Basslink will add "just enough" bass, cleanly, and without losing too much trunk space. I figure the Basslink is easy enough to move to my next car when/if it's ever time to sell the 540.

Anyone else upgrade with these speakers? I know someone once raved about Boston Acoustic speakers, but they were too expensive for my budget....

See less See more
#2 ·
I was a dealer for Infinity, I currently have the Kappa series in my car and they do a real good job for the money. The reference series are also a good buy for the money. You wont be dissappointed in your purchase in them. You will definitely get better high frequencies.

#3 ·
Outcome

OK, here's my post-install report -

The BassLink is near perfect for my use. Wow, what an upgrade in the bass!! I'm not going to compete in any car stereo contests, but produces lots of bass from the stock system! I especially like its tune-ability and the fact it hooks up to the speaker leads, with no need for remote 12V turn-on wire.

I tried installing the component speakers, but was confounded by the factory built-in cross-over. The best way to get the most out of component speakers is to use the crossover that they come with. The factory woofer is actually very nice, with a nice rubber surround. I heard no improvement (and maybe some extra buzzes and rattles) when I installed Infinity's woofer.

The tweeters were a spectacular improvement over the stock tweeters, even hooked up to the stock wiring/crossover (and I see no easy way around that). MUCH brighter and more efficient! So my plan is to box up and return the component Infinity speakers and return them to Crutchfield (they are excellent about that) and instead buy just the tweeters (Model #1011T). In fact, I found a set of 1011T's on Crutchfield's scratch-n-dent and so I've already ordered them; it's just a matter of returning the component system.

Summary: The BassLink is an excellent solution for adding bass to a stock system, and the 1011T's are all you need to boost the high end. I can't wait for those tweeters to arrive!!

PS - I was VERY impressed by BMW's attention to detail, evident when I removed the door panel. TREMENDOUS attention to sealing and detail! Molded plastic instead of sheet plastic, molded foam gaskets instead of a chintzy caulk line. Robust fasteners. I could go on, but my overall impression was that the E39's door designers/engineers didn't get any memo about saving cost or weight...:cool:

#4 ·
After 16+ years in car audio, I got to see how a lot of cars come apart. The way the BMW cars came apart (usually a pain), made me realize how well they are put together and are well built machines. One of the main reasons I own one now. We would go as far as taking out seats, door panels (just like you saw), headliners, trunks, etc. You really get to see why they are priced the way they are, not just the horsepower, handling, etc. that everyone gets to see. Congrats on your install...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.