Tutorial for running speaker wires in a 98 318i E36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ozwolfbane is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Tutorial for running speaker wires in a 98 318i E36

Hi,

I have searched long and hard but cant find used: a tutorial/write-up on running wires from the headunit (aftermarket) to an amp in the back.

I would be running 6 RCAs and speaker wires for the front splits.

Now everything in the BMW is bolted down like a mother with no free space anywhere to shove wires through !! In my Honda Prelude i just ran it on the passenger side carpet but carpet is too thick in BMW....

Now is there a full write-up, as to where to run the wires exactly , what to remove and how to remove it as i don't want to break anything.

plessssse help ghead

Last edited by ozwolfbane; 03-28-2007 at 04:54 AM.
ozwolfbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
There really isnt any tutorials. It sounds like you have already seen how to go about it. It is hard running wires in almost all these cars. The thicker form-fitting carpet poses a problem, you have to really lay the wires side by side instead of a bundle. Use duct tape to hold them in place. You may have to remove the seats, depending on how many wires you have and/or how thick they are. All the panels are held in REALLY good, thats what makes our cars built better than most. That is one of the main reasons I bought one. I sold/installed car audio professionally for 16+ years, and worked on everything. I figured if the car was REALLY difficult to take apart, its not going to just FALL apart over the years, therefore a really well-built car.

It has been mentioned to run wires under the car, I really dont recommend that. Its exposed too much and would corrode prematurely.

Just take your time, do it on a weekend or something where you have some time to just walk away for an hour or so. Split the wires running half down each side. Pull all the trim off carefully but firmly. These cars will fight you most of the way, so take your time. You can do it.

da_male_cow...
Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
+1

BMW very hard to route wires. Not like the ford explorer i did last year, you could run enough wires in that thing to run a phone company.

in the E36 what i ended up doing was going through the bottom of the door sills. BE VERY CAREFUL when you do this because i broke a couple of tabs trying to get them off. luckily after the fact they still stay in place and don't rattle, but it's a mother to get them off.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics