Subs and fire... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Subs and fire...

Hrm, so.. I got my subs working again thanks to da_bull... now I have a much more dramatic problem.

So. I redid my ground points so I have a seperate one for each amp. Made sure to sand down to bare metal for both and screw the wires down using ring terminals etc. etc.

However, My memphis amp for my subs would not come out of protect mode... I noticed a blown fuse. I replaced the blown fuse. Turned it on...

Smoke starting pouring out of my box and my right sub was not hitting quite right.

What the hell happened? Is my amp toasted? The subs? What could have caused this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If the smoke was coming from out of the port, more than likely one (or both) of your subs are blown. That is probably the reason for the protection light on your amp. Memphis are pretty decent amps and you probably havent hurt it.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
whoa...how does that happen? smoke? realy?

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Usually distortion. Thats about the only thing that will kill a speaker. Subs are the hardest to tell when they are distorting. Mids will let you know because they just sound crappy. Subs are usually in a trunk, in a box, facing backwards and they play a lot lower frequency. Add all these factors up, you get a blown sub quicker than mids. Tweeters run a close second, because we cant hear the distortion at the higher freqency either. (especially males, we cant hear as high of frequency as our female counterparts can).

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:31 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
So yeah, i blew a sub.

Only one thankfully. Found a replacement on ebay.

So heres another question. As far as the pecking order of car stereo companies goes...

I'm unsure what direction I want to go with my system. My initial idea was to keep it all rockford fosgate, however, these memphis subs sound amazing... would it be better to swap the subs out for rockford fosgate? or should I stick with the "mix" I have?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM
da_administrator

A lot of people think that sticking with one company makes for the best system. That's not necessarily true. I always suggest for people to go with what sounds good to YOUR ears. I emphasize the word "yours" because you will get a lot of suggestions to what sounds good to your buddies ears. Take some time, listen to a LOT of different speakers. If you can, listen to the same track, only listen for about 30 seconds, switch to a different set of speakers, using the same deck, same amp, same volume, etc. This will give you the best comparison.

For example, my system includes Focal subs, Infinity Kappa mids, Premier (Pioneer's pro line) headunit, Phoenix Gold sub amp, and I had an Xtant amp go south on me that I had on my mids, and now I have an Alpine amp as a loaner til I find another Xtant.

The shop I used to work at was a Memphis dealer (we were actually achieved Retailer of the Year in 2000). They make some good stuff. If you like the way they sound, just replace the one sub and go on jammin'. Plus you only have to buy one instead of two. Plus if your box is geared for the Memphis, the RF may or may not sound right, then your buying a box too. Good luck...

#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:21 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Alright. so last night on my way home, the other sub went up in smoke.

I found a helluva deal on two rockford subs... Some problems though.

I'm headed out to state college this weekend. I refuse to go out to state college without the ability to make my trunk lid rattle. The drive to work was excruciating this morning... All the clear, beautiful sounding treble in the world will not make up for having no bass whatsoever.

Heres my plan. The subs I'm looking at are a pair of rockford fosgate DVC 12"s.
Rockford Fosgate® - P212D2

I won't be able to replace my amp until my next paycheck rolls around. I won't be able to build a new box in time either.

Two problems:

#1. My box has displacement of 2 cu. ft... assuming it's matched to the subs since they came as a package. The replacements want 1.75 cu. ft.

My plan as far as this goes is DealWithIt(tm). Pop the new subs in and ignore the fact they might not be perfectly tuned for the box until I can get my hands on some MDF. Any problems with doing this? Assuming the box size specified by the Memphis subs does not take into account the actual displacement of the sub itself.. I'm not too far off... The rockford subs want 1.75' and would get 1.82'.

#2. This is the real problem. My amp: Memphis Car Audio - 150 x 2 Power Reference Amplifier
The rockford subs specify three wiring possibilites. Speakers can handle 200RMS/400Peak.

(1) DVC 2 ohm speaker, running at 4 ohms.
(2) DVC 2 ohm speakers, running at 8 ohms.
(2) DVC 2 ohm speakers, running at 2 ohms.

The memphis amp (pr300.2) Will give me...
150x2 RMS @ 4 ohms
250x2 RMS @ 2 ohms
500x1 RMS @ 4 ohms

So now the problem shows up. How should I run these to avoid more smoke from my trunk? Should I mount up both subs, and only run one for the trip out there until I can get my hands on another amp? Should I run both at 250w with the gain down and pray they don't blow? Can I do anything by bridging down to 1 channel?

Another question about gain, does turning the gain down affect wattage at all? I don't believe it would...

da_bull, since I'm sure you'll be the one to answer all these questions for me, thanks in advance for all the help you've given me as far as car audio goes. I just hope theres a way to figure this one out. If you can give me a solution to this one, I'll go up to that parts car tonight (don't care if it's 2 AM) and get that ABS module out to you tomorrow morning.

Last edited by d3ity; 09-16-2007 at 03:24 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 AM
da_administrator

#1 that little bit of difference wont really affect them too much especially if its a ported box. +/-10% is a good rule of thumb.

#2 Rockford Fosgate® - P2D412 are what you need. A dual 4 ohm will get you full power out of that amp. The way you will have to wire the dual 2's (and run 4 ohm stereo), will be very stable, but wont get all the available power from the amp.

#3 gain doesnt have any affect. the gain limits how much voltage from your HU actually gets to the first stage of the amplification process. If you have a 9volt RCA, you will want to turn the gain WAY down, but on the other hand a 1 volt RCA will need the gain turned WAY up to get the same output going to your speakers.

The power is really more dictated by the ohm load of your speakers. A lower ohm load "forces" the amp to deliver more power. To a point this is safe. Your amp might be able to run 1 ohm stereo, its just you might need to water cool it and it wont last very long at all.

The M-Class Memphis amps do ok at 1 ohm as long as you dont pound them for hours on end.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I did decide to go with the Rockford Fosgate® - P212D2, They should be arriving today... as far as wiring them, Heres what I'm planning on doing...

In lieu of using the memphis amp on them at all, I'm planning on bridging the extra two channels (don't have rear speakers yet), on my p400.4.. Which SHOULD give me the wattage I need (200w) for at least one of the subs at 4 ohms.

Rockford Fosgate® - P4004

^amp for door speakers

Can I bridge half an amp? Have 2 channels at 50w @ 4 ohms and 1 channel at 200w @ 4 ohms?

Another question... If i do decide just to run one sub off that memphis @ 150w, any downsides other than sound quality?

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, please completley disregard that last one... Heres what I believe my options are.

The subs will handle 250RMS at 2 ohms.

The amp will provide 250RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms

That 2 ohms number there... is that 2 ohms per channel or 2 ohms for both channels? If it's 2 per channel... then can I run one channel to each sub at 250RMS?

If not, should I run the subs in a series at 500w to 1 channel?

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
da_administrator

swap amps, run the 4ch one channel per coil on each speaker. this will give you a 2ohm per channel on the amp. then run the 2 channel on all four speakers, giving you 2 ohm stereo on that amp too.

#12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
That's gonna make my components explode (rated 50w RMS). i'm probably going to end up bridging the two unused channels on my 4 channel... if that'll work

#13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
that's not gonna work unfortunately, 150w RMS is gonna make my components explode since they are only rated at 60w RMS. I only have components in the front right now and I don't have rear speakers. So I've got two channels of the p400.4 to play with... buuut If i bridge the remaining two to 200w it's at 4 ohms.... Allowing me to hook up one of the subs... I don't quite need both until I get an amp suited to the subs next week.

Or I could run 150w from the memphis to them at 4 ohms... but that seems way too low.

#14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM
da_administrator

If you are only going to run one sub, hook one channel of your Memphis to each coil of your sub. Since you have dual 2 ohm coils, one 2 ohm coil per channel on your Memphis will be ideal. Should be 150 per coil, 300w total.

#15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I'll try that tomorrow morning if you think this setup is wrong...

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...hmDVC_4ohm.gif

Thats how I've got them wired now. I bridged two channels of the p4004 to give what I believe would be 200w at 4 ohms to that channel... Sounds pretty nice. I'm far too scared to turn it all the way up and the gain is veerrrry conservative right now.

Now, if thats OK (i hope)... Could I run the memphis amp to the other one in the setup you suggested? Its a ported box, but I don't want one sub to be moving the air behind the other one as I can only see that causing problems... seems like they'd be working against each other...

I'm pretty happy overall with them. Well, at least the one that's hooked up right now. It seems to sound a little more "crisp" than the memphis subs... which gave kind of a loose (although a bit more boomy) sound. When I do get my other amp and have the balls to actually see what these things will do... I kinda get the feeling that they're a bit more suited to my kind of music (metal) whereas the memphis subs seem like they would sound a bit better for rap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics