Sub Sytem Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
bitchincamaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I am not completely clear on what all those numbers mean and everything,

but here is (are) my question(S)....

Looking at an Alpine S-series sub 12 inch... get 4 ohm or 2 ohm?

Lookin at Alpine amps...what would be the best to run that sub?

I am sure someone is gonna tell me this is already in someother thread but I would like some opinions on what to get.

I have an Alpine 9835 deck.
bitchincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by bitchincamaro@Mar 16 2005, 08:47 PM
Well I am not completely clear on what all those numbers mean and everything,

but here is (are) my question(S)....

Looking at an Alpine S-series sub 12 inch... get 4 ohm or 2 ohm?

Lookin at Alpine amps...what would be the best to run that sub?

I am sure someone is gonna tell me this is already in someother thread but I would like some opinions on what to get.

I have an Alpine 9835 deck.
[snapback]313139[/snapback]
You need to match the impedence (ohms) to whatever amp you are going to get. If your amp is only 4 ohm stable in bridged mode (most are this way) and you are going to have one sub, buy a 4 ohm. If you are going to buy 2 subs get the "dual 4ohm" or "single 2 ohm" and run one sub per channel, DO NOT BRIDGE it with those subs if it isnt made for it. No matter what your buddy says.... . Post what you end up considering and I'll try to help you.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Well like i said i am considering an Alpine S-series 12 inch. They have 2 ohm+2 ohm models, and 4 ohm+4ohm models. They are 900 watt max... ?

Do i want a mono amp? or a 4/3/2 channel amp? The mono amp is also 900 wat max.. do i need all that power?

I have factory speakers in the rest of the car, so i want the sub to work well with the sound of those.

thanksfor your help.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1998/BMW/M3
Photos:
Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
I would be dissapointed with you if you would buy a S-series. You have the top of the line Alpine HU and ur gonna run the bottom line sub? I've talked to car audio dealers all over when looking for my system and they say the S-Type is the worst sub Alpine makes. They made the E Type to be the model below it, but they say it actually sounds better. If u spent 400+ to buy that HU u should atleast run a better sub. Look at the R Types or the X-Type (what i have). I had two R-Types in my 98 M3 and the bass was still not as strong as i wanted it. I bought an X type and it's way better than two R's. X's are fairly resonable as far as prices too, they are coming down alot since i bought mine. Buy an X.
Kissner
Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Oh yea and to answer ur other questions. Depending on the type of sub u get determines what kinda amp u get. If u get one sub, then u want to buy a mono amp. Unless u plan on running other speakers off of this same amp. Alpine subs come in dual 4 or dual 2 ohm. A sub can either be run in parallel or in series. Running a dual 4 ohm in series makes it 2 ohms. Running a dual 4 ohm in parallel makes it 8 ohms. Running a dual 2 ohm sub in series makes it 1 ohm. Running a dual 2 ohm sub in parallel makes it 4 ohm. Depending on what ohm u buy and how u wire it determines the amp you need. If u buy a sub and wire it to 1 ohm, u need to find an amp that has the wattage, AT ONE OHM, that you need. A common thing with amp companies is they advertise how powerful there amps are "1900 watts". What u don't know is that it's at 1 ohm. Which for most people does them no good. If u don't know what ohms are then i'll try to explain that too. Ohms is the measure of resistance. The lower the ohms, the less the resistance. The higher the ohms, the higher the resistance. Lower resistance=louder. But with lower ohms comes the need for larger gauge wire, and a better chance for blowing a sub because of the increased wattage needed to push your sub. If u got any more questions on this just ask them and i'll try to answer them. Good luck
Kissner
Old 03-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
haha forgot one more thing too that u asked. How to read wattage on subs. The max wattage means NOTHING. Look at the RMS. If u run a sub at it's max wattage u will blow it eventually. For best sound run your sub in the middle between RMS and Max. Example-X Types are 3000 max, 1000 RMS. 2000 watts is the ideal power. Pay no attention to max wattage
Old 03-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Nice work guys.

So to sum up...

Match components (think like this...buy the amp and sub together, as one unit working together)

And if your gonna buy a single sub, and you can...Buy a dual 4ohm sub and a mono amp. That will maximize your dollar spent.

I also agree with Young Beamin, not a fan of ALpine's low end stuff. Unfortunately no one audio company makes great everything. While Alpine makes great head units, I think there are other companies that make better amps, and yet others still make great subs.

My recomendations:

Amps= Hifonics, PPI, Alpine (V12 series only), Xtant

Subs= Kicker, JL, Infinity, Xtant
Old 03-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Agreed, Alpine doesn't have the greatest subs, but the SQ is among the best I've heard. I know there are better ones out there, but for the money i spent I think it sounds about as good as any other sub. Either way, ask on here before u buy a sub-i think somone on here has had every kind of sub and can answer questions for you. Good Luck
Kissner
Old 03-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Young Beamin'@Mar 21 2005, 01:01 PM
Agreed, Alpine doesn't have the greatest subs, but the SQ is among the best I've heard. I know there are better ones out there, but for the money i spent I think it sounds about as good as any other sub. Either way, ask on here before u buy a sub-i think somone on here has had every kind of sub and can answer questions for you. Good Luck
Kissner
[snapback]315708[/snapback]
SQ? do you mean the S-series alpine sub?

Thing is, i kinda want to keep my system all Alpine... SO, if i got an alpine X or R series 12 inch sub, what V12 amp should i use?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by bitchincamaro+Mar 24 2005, 01:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bitchincamaro @ Mar 24 2005, 01:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Young Beamin'@Mar 21 2005, 01:01 PM
Agreed, Alpine doesn't have the greatest subs, but the SQ is among the best I've heard.* I know there are better ones out there, but for the money i spent I think it sounds about as good as any other sub.* Either way, ask on here before u buy a sub-i think somone on here has had every kind of sub and can answer questions for you.* Good Luck
Kissner

Thing is, i kinda want to keep my system all Alpine... SO, if i got an alpine X or R series 12 inch sub, what V12 amp should i use?
[snapback]317737[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

SQ = Sound Quality

The MRD-M301 is a good amp for the money, decent power and reliable. It depends on if you want to amp your midrange as well. They have a 4 and a 5 channel amplifier for doing that as well.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull+Mar 24 2005, 04:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da_bull @ Mar 24 2005, 04:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by bitchincamaro@Mar 24 2005, 01:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Young Beamin'
Quote:
@Mar 21 2005, 01:01 PM
Kissner

[snapback]317737[/snapback]
SQ = Sound Quality

The MRD-M301 is a good amp for the money, decent power and reliable. It depends on if you want to amp your midrange as well. They have a 4 and a 5 channel amplifier for doing that as well.
[snapback]317868[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Would that run an X-series 12? Sorry I am so dumb when it comes to this stuff... thanks for the help/opinions everyone.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
It would but the S-series is more efficient and would actually be louder. The X-series can handle (and requires) more power to play at the same level. The benefit of the X-series is that it can handle 500 watts RMS where the S-series doesnt. The amp I recommended is a 300 watt amp. This is a better matched setup.

Now if you want to go louder, you will have to have a larger amp and one the X woofers. The S woofer is a good start if youve never had a system before. Go to a local Alpine retailer and take a listen.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Mar 24 2005, 07:56 PM
It would but the S-series is more efficient and would actually be louder. The X-series can handle (and requires) more power to play at the same level. The benefit of the X-series is that it can handle 500 watts RMS where the S-series doesnt. The amp I recommended is a 300 watt amp. This is a better matched setup.

Now if you want to go louder, you will have to have a larger amp and one the X woofers. The S woofer is a good start if youve never had a system before. Go to a local Alpine retailer and take a listen.
[snapback]317973[/snapback]

Well i am not looking to go crazy with the bumps or nuthin, but I am one who likes to have the best stuff you know....

Are you recommending the 300 watt amp for the S series or the X? What amp would you recommend for the X?

Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
What about the MRD-M605? Would that push an R or X series? X is a bit pricey...dont know if i can swing it...

For the MRD-M301 and an S series, it is considerably less, at least half the price.

I am not really interested in showing off...
Old 03-25-2005, 05:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by bitchincamaro@Mar 24 2005, 10:49 PM
For the MRD-M301 and an S series, it is considerably less, at least half the price.
[snapback]318059[/snapback]
Take a listen to that setup and I'll bet youll be happy. It'll have plently of bass and a decent sound quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics