so i got my subs and amp - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
so i got my subs and amp

but since im using my old box, they sound ok i guess, not the hard bass my cousin is getting with the same setup, guess im gonna have to get a bigger box

also, damn bmws and their luxury BS, its hard to get good bass into the cabin without folding down the rear seats...anything i can do to get more bass into the cabin???

and there is a big difference when i cover up the holes on the box, bass sounds deeper or something

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Not really on the bass, Bimmers are designed to keep unwanted low frequency road noise from the cabin. Guess what frequencies they block. The same low frequencies that your sub produces. Sell your car and buy a Neon, they are horrible for blocking noise .

I built a 5th order box and ported it through the ski hole, so it is all forced into the cabin, and my trunk doesnt rattle. The downfall is you cant hear the actually sound quality of the subs, only the port frequencies. This is unfortunate, because I really like the natural sound of my Focals...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
my trunk rattles, well, actually its the trunk button, lol

as for the ski hole, i dont have one, just the fold down seats, i noticed that the rear seat backs have like a hard shell, any way i can take that off? maybe replace it with something not as thick to get more bass in?

i also noticed that all of a sudden my other speakers dont sound as loud, or as if some of the speakers just cut off all of a sudden...then all of a sudden they come back on when i change a song or cd..???

Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
The rear seats are hinged by that hard piece of metal, so there's not much you can do there. I am pretty sure that's what holds the foam of the seat. Not sure what kind of mod you could do there. Unless you want to take the material off the rear and cut like a 10" hole in the middle of each piece of metal.

I cant remember if youve replaced them or not, but if not you are dealing with 12 year old speakers (most bimmer owners dont replace their speakers until one goes bad, unless they're of the younger crowd). You may have one or more going bad. Use your fader and listen to each corner really well.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
damn, well that sucks, guess id have to get some big ass 12's or 15's to get decent bass in the cabin. lol

ive only replaced the rear speakers, and i did the whole fader thing, and they all sound fine, then they cut off at random, then come back on

Old 11-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
I would still put my money where the factory speakers lie. They're old like me...

It would only take one to intermittently work to freak out your factory amp/headunit.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
yea, ive been thiking about replacing the 2 speakers on the door first, i know that the ones it has right now is like one whole thing with the color matched ring and grill, could i put some aftermarket ones in there without too much cutting or something?

Old 11-11-2006, 04:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I did one of those, the speaker is attached to the colored grill. They are one unit. I took a Dremel tool and cut off the factory speaker, attached the grill back to the door, and mounted the new speaker to the door itself instead of the panel. Its kind of a pain to do.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
yea, i wouldnt mind doing it, of course id probably do it until one day im just bored and really have nopthing to do...lol...i remember seeing someones picture of their door panel with new speakers, but they didnt use the colored grill, think that would be too mcuh of a pain to accomplish

Old 11-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
If you dont mind the different colors (or you could Fusion it to match) you could just slap some new speakers with their own grills in there. You might have to enlarge the holes to like a 4" or 5.25".

Old 11-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
i wouldnt mind the colors, as long as its black i might give it a shot next week

as for he subs, i put in my cousins box with the exact same subs and amp that i have, except he has a bigger sealed box....wow...day and night...awesome hard bass even with the seats up...didnt have time to go buy the box, so now i have to wait till monday

Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Cool, it sounds like your box dimensions are way off for your subs, and your cousins box is closer to what the subs need.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
yea, i thought they were both more or less the same size...damn i was wrong...his box is twice as big as the one im using, ill be going to buy the box as soon as i am out of class tomorrow...ill finally have the boom boom ive been wanting..lol...boom boom...

Old 11-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
A bigger box will lend to lower bass, but as everything else in car audio, there is a trade-off. A bigger box will give lower frequencies, but the speakers wont handle quite as much power. A smaller box controls the speaker better, but wont play as low. I say all this to say this: Just make sure you listen to the subs when playing loud to make sure they arent distorting, thats what kills speakers, not necessarily power. The speakers will tell you (by not sounding quite right) that they arent happy, and need to turn it down a bit. Have fun...

Bill

Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
thanks for in the info, i just got done setting up everything again, wow, im happy with my bass! now i gotta work on my mids and highs, lol...its a never ending feat...thanks for all the help, im sure ill have more questions about other things later, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics