should I replace my Speaker Wire? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 04:37 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

B) I am getting a new SONY head unit (don't bother suggesting other brands, I've made up my mind), a CDX 8805X will soon be in my e36. This mp3 deck has 22 watts RMS x 4 channels, a marked improvement over my '92 325i's oem cassette deck with 5 watts rms x 2 (at 10% distortion?).

Is it time to upgrade to better speaker wire, maybe even Oxygen Free wire?

When I upgrade to a 10 inch Sub, what should I use then since I will wire that from scratch through a 150 - 300 watt mono amp.

I am building this system for clean, flat response from 20 - 20,000; not eye and ear bleeding bass that will surely crack my chassis's spot welds. I like listen to a wide range of music when I drive the bimmer; from Floyd, to Ozzy, to Crystal Method, to Ambient / Drone.

I am an ex-Radio DJ that is used to professional quality studio monitor speakers, so which brands of speakers with excellent frequency response do you suggest for my e36?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 04:42 AM
5th Gear Member

brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
though i can not help you on that, but i too want that cd deck. though is it really worth that price? 360 off that site, it hi nk, but only 280 off car domain http://www.cardomain.com/item/SONCDXM8805X

280 is still a lot of money. why is it costing 300 dollars for a cd player? is it because it has those short videos? or is it really that great of a cd player?

!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 11:34 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I wouldn't replace your speaker wire. Upon inspection, you will notice BMW used twisted pair interconnects of ample AGU. Replacing it wouldn't be cost effective unless you plan on spending mega bucks on new speakers (from such companies as DynaAudio, Diamond Audio, etc.) and a much better power supply than the oem amp or the Sony mosfet power supply.

As for sub speaker cable, Monster XP 14AGU oxygen-free hi stand interconnects should do just fine.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Neutral Member

green325is is an unknown quantity at this point
So I am think of just replacing the rear stock speakers with some JL stealthboxes. You guys think the stock wire is good enough to power the speakers? I am using a newer sony headunit. i'm such a newbee at this audio stuff!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by green325is@Aug 15 2005, 12:10 AM
So I am think of just replacing the rear stock speakers with some JL stealthboxes. You guys think the stock wire is good enough to power the speakers? I am using a newer sony headunit. i'm such a newbee at this audio stuff!
[snapback]369639[/snapback]
The factory 4" speakers, yes. Aftermarket 4" speakers, yes. The JL's are 2-8" speakers that are designed for bass, you will need an amp for them. Any sort of sub box you will be running a new power/ground/RCA/speaker wire set for the amplifier.

Hope that helps....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics