second alternator - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
(Thread Starter)
any one know where to get and how to put in a second alternator? i think i would need it because i want to put in two 1000 watt subs plus speakers i think that the second alternator would definetlly help but i don't know where or how to put a second in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:10 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
You'll need a set of ear plugs more than a second alternator. You also might sustain some internal injuries!

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
i would n't probbly use it to its full potential unless i was showin it off t my friends another issue would be plexi glass windows. a kid at my school had a tahoe with spinners and three 1000 watt kickers. you could feel it threee car lengths a way at a stop sign maybe i could put in a bigger alternator but i still think the second is a good i dea since i want to add some video also

#4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
rather than a twin alternator it would be cheaper and easier to upgrade to a higher amperage alternator.

And 1000W subs wont do anything w/o a 2000W amp, which would draw roughly 100-120 amps MAX. The amperage at the RMS level would be around 50-70. The factory alternator pus out an additional 50 or so amps over what the car requires to operate, so upgrading would would be cheaper and more effective.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

alanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alanh
i saw this on "monster garage" they just set up a second onr next to the first... mounted it right to the same brachet i think

Self-Proclaimed Genius

#6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Quote:
i want to put in two 1000 watt subs plus speakers
What? New mid+high speakers or are you talking about sub drivers? The speakers themselves don't draw power, it's the amp, telling us the speaker wattage (and not even specifying peak or RMS) doesnít help us too much.

If you get a 2000W amp (which you donít need, since the sub rating you gave is probably peak. Peak rating is a marketing term and should be ignored) then you are going to need a 1-2 farad capacitor into your car's electrical system to act as a buffer to ease the strain on essentially ALL of your car's electrical components. Massive voltage drops (which occur when you play hard bass notes on a weak electrical system, seen as light dimming) are hell on modern electrical equipment such as microprocessors and such. Either way, anything that produces more than 1kW, you need at least a 1 farad capacitor per kW of drain that you have.
If you have an 80 amp alternator, you MAY be alright with a big enough capacitor. Anything less, I'd get a new one (might as well get a badass one while your at it). I agree with El Presidente. Just get one big alternator.
Now, so I can really give you specific directions on what you need to do, tell me what kind of amplifier(s) you intend on using, the drivers you plan on hooking up to them, and your listening habits. (Loud? Bassy music? Both?)

What I need to hear from you: What kind of driver is it? What is the RMS rating on the subs? DVC? Ohms?
Do you have an amplifier? List it's specs [such as THD, channel separation, signal to noise, RMS wattage]) If not, what do you plan on getting and list it's specs. Plan on getting it all professionally installed or are you more of a DIY in this field? What kind of enclosure is the sub going to be in? (let me tell you right now, do not get plexi glass OR lexan.)

#7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:14 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
plexi is fine as long as its properly constructed, and its actually better than wood because of it's higher density...

If you purchased efficient equipment, you shouldnt even have to upgrade your alternator...

try getting a class D amp (since it seems like sound quality isnt #1 on your list) that puts out 1kW @ 4ohms, and a 4 ohm sub that can handle the power - you'll barely be drawing enough current to max that stock alt out unless you turned it up all the way and clipped it.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

(Thread Starter)
i listen to like linkin park mettalica and stuff like that i like louda and bassy stuff. i was thinkin about goin with two audiobahn ultra excurrison subs(12'' 1200 watts rms) or 2 immortals(12'' 2000 watt rms) i would probbly end up goin with there amps to unless u guys know of a better company that produces good decent priced high amperage amps. i would end up goin with there speakers to and adding a higher amperage amp for them also. i found a big alterantor online that puts out 120 amps. it sounds pretty good but i saw that thing on monster garage and it got me thinkin that two alternators would be cool mainly it would be for show use

#9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally posted by sp0rky@Feb 8 2004, 01:54 AM
plexi is fine as long as its properly constructed, and its actually better than wood because of it's higher density...
...but it flexes and doesnít allow for a pressure level change because it's acting more like a balloon instead of a separate air chamber like it's suppose to.
Density doesnít matter, hardness does.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

(Thread Starter)
what about the speakers they good

#11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 01:24 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
image dynamics subs are nice.

#12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Mattitjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mattitjah
2000 W RMS!!! Jesus F*****G Christ!!! I've been in a car with 600W rms amp/subs playing full blast and after a few minutes I got heart fibrilations and a nose bleed!
Try something a little smaller unless you plan on attending competitions.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattitjah@Feb 28 2004, 02:44 AM
2000 W RMS!!! Jesus F*****G Christ!!! I've been in a car with 600W rms amp/subs playing full blast and after a few minutes I got heart fibrilations and a nose bleed!
Try something a little smaller unless you plan on attending competitions.
well, SPL really depends on the efficency of the driver... you could have a 5 Kw setup and it could still be fairly quiet if it was nowhere near efficent. It's the SPL that matters, not wattage.

#14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

(Thread Starter)
still they will be freking loud as hell

#15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

(Thread Starter)
with 2 1000s it will be loud anyone ever used audiobahns

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics