Screwed up wiring in my car, - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Wurzig-Drei is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wurzig-Drei
Previously in my car i had an Alpine head unit, that started acting funny, so today i tried installing a Sony head unit. I know what im doing when it comes to installing radios and all the wires were matched up correctly. Nothing happened. So I checked the wires with a voltmeter. I got the ignition wire (small red) reading 12v even when the car was off, and the constant power(thick yellow) reading 9v constantly. What would you suggest? The radio wont even turn on
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
The ignition lead is getting a constant +12 volts? Sounds like you have the ignition and constant power lead backwards. Also, you deffinately shouldn't have two leads hot with the ignition off. Are you hardwiring the radio in or using a wiring harness? Just to complete the process of elimination, you might go to a local stereo shop and see if they will check to see if the sony deck is good.

If the deck is good and everything is interfaced properly, than obviously you have an evil demon that has taken over your cars electrical system and you should immediately sell your car....
Old 03-30-2004, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
define "started acting funny"
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Wurzig-Drei is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wurzig-Drei
Well who would have guessed, the purple wire is the ignition wire, Crazy germans. I didnt even test that wire because i thought it was just a speaker wire. But now iv got some new problems. When just the left speakers are hooked in everything works fine, but if i have the right ones hooked in, after like 20 seconds the sound cuts out completly untill i remove the right speakers. To fix that problem, im just putting in all new wiring for the speaker (stupid common ground system). But also, my amp will not turn on. The amp turn on wire is putting out 12v at head unit, but nothing at the amp in the trunk. Iv checked for rips in the insulation and found none. Also the power wire running from the battery puts out 12v at battery, but at amp puts out like .06v. Anyone know the number of a good priest that can get the evil electrical demons out of my car?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
you might be boned with the current setup... if amp doesnt come on and all fuese and connections are good it could have gotten fried durring the expermitation...

I just replaced my speakers and bypassed the amp because my amp died on me.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
you probably fried either the sony unit or the amp

here's my audio story... some dumbass took the amp out of my car when installing a jensen cd headunit... and just hooked wires up in the trunk (this happened before i bought the car, and i found out few days ago). the result of this is that my left speaker in the panel next to the door is not working... and two of my front top speakers are dead so I had to take those out until I find a correct size replacement. I have to go through all the trunk wiring just to find which wires go to the front left speaker in order to get it to work too...

ps. did you guys know NOKIA makes speakers for Bmw
Old 03-31-2004, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by torque0@Mar 31 2004, 08:46 PM
ps. did you guys know NOKIA makes speakers for Bmw
yep.

I got a pair sitting less than 10 feet away from me. I'm tring to decide what to do with them. Ebay? trash? hook them up to something for fun? bookends?

harmon/kardon also makes some for the cars with HK option for audio... Nokia makes a lot of stuff actualy, monitors, settop boxes, etc... we just get the phones and parts like speakers that make it over in something else.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
O yeah, well I have 2 nokia speakers less than 10 feet behind me, and a 10 inch sub in the trash can about 8 feet to my left. TOP THAT!
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos:
uh. about 10feet away I have one of my kickpannel speakers, but the other one was MIA when they took my car apart to put them in.

but i think the 10 in the trash beats me....
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics