Rewiring Factory Amp - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 04:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
(Thread Starter)
Alright, here's a good one for the BMW audiophiles out there.

I had my Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit installed at a Tweeter and they did a really good job. Only thing-I have the 8 speaker premium system in my 318, with the factory amp, so they had to add this piece onto the wiring to limit the amount of power from HU to the amp because of Alpine V-Drive technology (60x4 watts) possibly overloading the input of the factory amp. If I didn't use the limiter, then I would have lost the channels in my doors and I didn't want to do that. However...this process I realized, made my speakers continue to sound like crap, just like with the former underpowered crappy stock headunit.

What I want to do, is take all the input wires, and connect them to the output wires, bypassing the amp completely. This should allow me to keep all the channels and power ALL the speakers in my car, or something like that. I was just wondering if anyone thinks it is possible and also if someone could direct me in the color coding of all the speaker wire running all over my car. I would try amping the speakers separately, but that would just defeat the purpose of the V-drive in my HU. I realize this may be time consuming, but for good quality sound, I am willing to make that sacrifice. I am sick of the poor SQ in my car. This aggression will not stand, man!!!! (name that movie)

I also figure I could have it all rewired, starting from the headunit, but using a crossover to keep the door channels in tact. I removed the rear tweeters as per replacing them with Infinity two-ways which actually sound bad right now due to the poor power situation I am facing.

I guess the final question that can tie all this together is, can I rewire all this, using the wiring in place, but removing the stock amp, just by following the colors of the wires?

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks a lot for anyone who can help me out, otherwise its off to Tweeter or somewhere else to have it all rewired again from the headunit ghead

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:08 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Using the wiring diagram below, you should be able to do what you want. But before you get started, to ensure that the fruits of your labors are trulely really realized, I would replace your front speakers as you did rears. If you don't have a pile of money laying around wait until you have this much{HERE} before you tear into this.

The existing wire is actually good by oem standards, and with your new seperates, you don't have to use all of it. Your aftermarket deck has four outputs, so you should wire accordingly.

Take a lead from four of the leads going into the amp (your four new channels of amplification) and connect to the leads coming out of the oem amp to each of the four speaker areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post_31_1083828301.gif
Views:	2623
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	9852  

#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:23 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ah haaaaa...dude, this is one of the most impressive things I have seen. Guess what, I have had those exact speakers sitting around in my room (Brand New) for the last 7 months (since Christmas). I got them and the rears as presents. However, I never had a chance to install them because I never had a chance to get to the wiring. I figured why put them in if they are going to sound like crap in the first place. I figured I would wait until I finally found the time to get to this project. Now I have something to do on the weekend...awesome

I want to replace the tweeters in the door with the ones from the component set. Is taking the door off easily accomplished? Will wiring the crossover from the component set be easy? You are on a roll, keep the answers coming. You just made my night (and seeing Spider Man 2 was a great thing as well...) B)

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Tracked Mud on carpets
#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:39 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
So Spiderman part deux was decent, heh? It's on my list...

Yeah, getting the door panels off is as easy as any, not very. My installer did mine (I tend to be lazy when I have excellent resources), but I'm sure it's not tough. I'll see if I can find you a DIY.

As for wiring the crossovers, I was talking about this with Kev the other day, and we came up with this a decent solution. Just take the input lead on each new crossover (2) and connect leads 14 and 15(right), 16 and 17(left) from the 26 pin connector on the oem amp. You would then just connect the outputs on the Infinity crossover to the proper outputs (Right front mid to right front mid, and right front tweet to right front tweet, etc.). Your rear leads pre and post oem amp look pretty straight forward and probably don't need any explanation.

Hope this helps, lemme know if any further clarification needs to be made

#5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:41 AM
WOT in Reverse

Removing the front door panels:
Remove the plugs hiding the Torx screws under the interior door handle. Remove Torx screws. Brace the lower metal of the door with your foot and pull on the door panel with one hand in each cubby hole. Or you can use both hands in one cubby hole and work you way along the bottom. I used the second way and ripped the front plastic cubby off of the door panel. I was able to glue it back on fortunately. Then just work your way around the edges of the door pulling the clips loose. It slides up off the top of the door. It helps to have your window all the way down before starting this. Now pull the wires off your side mirror adjustment switch and the speakers. Be sure to note which speakers wires go where. Removing the factory tweeters:
The factory tweeters and midrange speakers are held on by a ring from the back that you unscrew to loosen. Just that simple.

Found this. If you are real anal, I would either go the dealer or a well heeled hardware store and find you some of those plasitic pop rivets. You will undoubtedly bust a few, and this will help you to make a perfect install.

#6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
damn dude, you're good. Its a bitch I don't have the good resources like you do. One of these guys, I think its Kev actually, not sure, who lives in South Jersey, which is the area I live in...that could be good networking if it came to it, but I would have to find out for sure. This is definitely gonna be a project this weekend, and my dad got a new digital camera, so I'll see if I can make something good out of it. Thanks a lot bro...

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Tracked Mud on carpets
#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Nope, I was wrong, its not Kevin, its CiscoKid that lives in South Jersey, my bad...

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Tracked Mud on carpets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics