BMW Werkz banner

replacing stock headunit

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kissner 
#1 ·
What headunits are out there that plays mp3s and is capable of using the factory CD changer?

#2 ·
There isnt any aftermarket stereo that can run the factory cd changer. After you get an aftermarket radio you wouldnt want to get in the trunk and change the CDs out. you can get more songs on one mp3 disk than you can get in the whole cd changer. Hope that helps...

#3 ·
Replacing factory unit with a different factory unit

Hey guys, I'm new here and have a question about changing out my factory cassette player head unit. I have '95 540i and it looks like just about any aftermarket HU would fit but I definitely want to keep the factory look.

This seems to narrow-down my choices quite a bit as I want the face to be entirely black and have amber backlighting.

I did see a factory HU from another model BMW on Ebay that is listed as fitting other models. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Here is the listing link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8051512834&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas on this. Compatibility? Aftermarket vs. factory audio quality?

Thanks!

#4 ·
:welcome to the forums,

If your main goal is cosmetics that would be your best bet. For that kind of money though, I would go aftermarket, you'll get a better quality sound with a non-factory unit, plus availability for ipods, mp3s, etc. that a factory cant offer. Yes they might look a little different, but the sound is WAY better, plus the added features, makes it a better "bang-for-your-buck" purchase. My two cents...

#6 ·
Alpine does make the CD changers for the later model (roughly 95-up) BMW's. I was thinking the control cable is somehow different where it plugs into the radio than the 13 pin din cord at the back of their radios. I could be wrong on that though.

That would be the ONLY thing I have EVER been wrong about though :rofl :dunno :confused :haha :alky :lol: :unsure:

#7 ·
look at www.peripheral.com see if there is anything there. but you will probably just want to trade out the head unit. I have the Alpine CDA-9833. this years Alpines have a direct input for the ipod and the adapter wire is 20 or 30 bucks. Great deal. and it is the fastest ipod connection out there for the time being. If you are looking for highest quality the look at eclipse.www.eclipse-web.com. down side... thre is no direct ipod innerface. good luck!

#8 ·
Another vote for the Alpine line. I have a 9833 also. I wanted to keep the stock look with the completely black face and the amber backlighting. This HU definitely looks like it's meant to be there. I can post pics if you want... The newer Alpine's look cheap in my opinion, the 9833, 9835 models were the best looking i think. Ebay's got a couple going on there for pretty cheap, take a look and see what u think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.