BMW Werkz banner

Remote Start help?!

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  007ben 
#1 ·
Ok so I hooked up my remote start on my Stellar alarm. Now it almost remote starts. It starts for a second then stops and beeps at me a couple times sometimes more sometimes less. up to 6 and as low as 1.

Anyone else have a Stellar remote start setup?
Any ideas for an alternate wire/wires to tap to for the Tach sensor or perhaps just set the RPM learning?

#2 ·
The tach wire is the best, because it gives the brain module a definite signal via the wire, to let it know its running. I dont have the Stellar brand, but most remote starts will shut off the ignition sircuit if it doesnt receive the tach signal, because it doesnt know if its running or not. The negative side of the coil is an easy spot to get to, and it works well. The RPM learning uses the same wire (or it should).

#3 ·
thanks.

I will double check the tach wire but I'm pretty sure its already been tapped its just not working but I will see if its the right one.

the reason i mentioned rpm learning is if the alarm is expecting a diffrent voltage /signal from the tach wire it may not think its started as well. At least that is my theory.

#4 ·
If you have a volt meter, set it to AC volts, it should show around 3-6 volts AC (negative AC more than likely) when running. It should flucuate a little when you rev the motor a bit. Hope that helps...

#5 ·
The multimeter to the tapped wire is on my list of things to check... AC interesting. I suppose it makes sense for its taks. pulses faster for higher rpm rather than more voltage for higher rpm..

hopefuly i have time to check tonight. i will post results.

Thanks!

#6 ·
yeah its really closer to a pulsed DC, but a meter cant read it that fast....800 rpm x 6 cylinders = 4800 pulses per minute off the coil...a tad too fast for a digital voltmeter to capture :D

#7 ·
Havent had a chance to test it yet.

Incase I've got the wrong wire tapped do we know what wire we would be looking for or which one it could or would be off the diagnosic port (maily for an easier trace)?

I havent been able to find a pin out of an odbI diag port so far.

#8 ·
This is a picture of an M20 (little 6 cylinder like my car has). I just popped off the rubber boot from this coil cover and there is 2 screws under here. They are marked positive and negative. Your tach wire from the remote start needs to hook to the negative side of the coil. Some remote starts need to "learn" what the tach signal is producing to know when it is running.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
image post didn't work out. I dont see anything anyways. But I will check the tap i already have for AC/DC pulsed voltage and possibly try the rpm learning. I should have some time today.

image working now. but i do not see said coil under my hood. I can find my diag port but cant find the coil pak that you are descibing/displayin on my M50 engine.

#10 ·
I lied. I didn't have time to test the tach wire yesterday. Hopefuly today. I did try rpm learning mode. It said and acted like it learned something but it didn't help.

I found a possible alternate location for a tach tap on the instrument cluster hopefuly the signal doesnt get too molested in the process of getting to the cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.