Rear Factory Speakers '96 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:24 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm replacing the front original speakers in my BMW (kick panels & doors) and have a new 4-channel amp, which delivers 300 RMS total. The new front components I'm putting in handle 200 of the amp's 300; I've been advised, for now, to keep the factory speakers in the rear top panel (which consist of a tweeter/midrange combo in an enclosure) because their size and type makes them difficult to replace, and they were/are good quality speakers to begin with. The only thing I don't know or understand is, can they handle the remaining 100 w RMS from the amp? Does anyone know their handling capability? If the 100w is high (50 w RMS per channel), can the output to them be turned down? Thanks!!
gfowler12002@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 07:56 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by gfowler@May 13 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm replacing the front original speakers in my BMW (kick panels & doors) and have a new 4-channel amp, which delivers 300 RMS total. The new front components I'm putting in handle 200 of the amp's 300; I've been advised, for now, to keep the factory speakers in the rear top panel (which consist of a tweeter/midrange combo in an enclosure) because their size and type makes them difficult to replace, and they were/are good quality speakers to begin with. The only thing I don't know or understand is, can they handle the remaining 100 w RMS from the amp? Does anyone know their handling capability? If the 100w is high (50 w RMS per channel), can the output to them be turned down? Thanks!!
gfowler12002@yahoo.com
[snapback]344141[/snapback]
They arent too bad to replace. I am curious now the amplifier can produce 200 to the front and 100 to the rear. Most 4 channel amplifiers are split evenly, 75 x 4. If this is the case and you have individual gains for the front and rear, just turn down the gains going to the rear and hook 'em up. 50w RMS wont hurt those speakers.

If your amp has a built-in high-pass crossover, turn it on, set it about 80-120 hz. This will filter out the damaging bass notes going to those rear speakers. It wont get rid of ALL the bass notes, just quiet them down considerably. If you listen to a lot bass-heavy music, turn the crossover up 200-300 hz. If ou listen to that music and want to keep your speakers for a while, get a sub that is designed to play the bass music, your midrange arent designed for that.

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 AM
n00b

gfowler is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull+May 14 2005, 04:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da_bull @ May 14 2005, 04:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-gfowler@May 13 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm replacing the front original speakers in my BMW (kick panels & doors) and have a new 4-channel amp, which delivers 300 RMS total. The new front components I'm putting in handle 200 of the amp's 300; I've been advised, for now, to keep the factory speakers in the rear top panel (which consist of a tweeter/midrange combo in an enclosure) because their size and type makes them difficult to replace, and they were/are good quality speakers to begin with. The only thing I don't know or understand is, can they handle the remaining 100 w RMS from the amp? Does anyone know their handling capability? If the 100w is high (50 w RMS per channel), can the output to them be turned down? Thanks!!*
gfowler12002@yahoo.com*
[snapback]344141[/snapback]
They arent too bad to replace. I am curious now the amplifier can produce 200 to the front and 100 to the rear. Most 4 channel amplifiers are split evenly, 75 x 4. If this is the case and you have individual gains for the front and rear, just turn down the gains going to the rear and hook 'em up. 50w RMS wont hurt those speakers.

If your amp has a built-in high-pass crossover, turn it on, set it about 80-120 hz. This will filter out the damaging bass notes going to those rear speakers. It wont get rid of ALL the bass notes, just quiet them down considerably. If you listen to a lot bass-heavy music, turn the crossover up 200-300 hz. If ou listen to that music and want to keep your speakers for a while, get a sub that is designed to play the bass music, your midrange arent designed for that.

Hope that helps...
[snapback]344457[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks! Yes it does help. I'm not very knowledgeable about how amps work. I have an Audiobahn 4-ch. A 600 which I believe has the gains; I take it, then, the installer can adjust these gains so the watts going to each speaker maximizes the speaker's potential without being too much for it? If so, I guess I have nothing to worry about here, there's flexibility. At least, I hope I'm thinking along the right lines..
#4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:11 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
You should be ok. That amp has an independent crossover for front and rear, so the installer should be able to set them accordingly. Good luck....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics