ready to install--what will I need? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ultraviolet353 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a BMW 1994 318is--6 Speakers (Door speakers, Floor Speakers, 2 Rear Deck). I am buying the following (brand new-factory sealed):

Alpine 9835 Head Unit (what is the best way to remove old head unit)
Infinity Reference 5.25" Component (For front Dorr and Floor)
Infinity Reference 4" 2-Way Coaxial (For rear deck)
Bazooka 8" powered sub (I know you guys rec'd the Basslink, but I do not have the money for it now--if I am unhappy with it I will sell on eBay later and then get the Basslink)

I bought the car used and it already had an aftermarket Sony XPlod Head Unit in it. I have never installed car audio before so I am a complete novice. What tools, wiring harnesses, etc. will I need to do the job? Or will everything I need come with the products I purchase? Any advice would be greatly appreciated--especially how exactly to remove door panel safely, and how to mount 1"tweeter in the door (do I need glue, what kind, etc.).

Everyone has been so helpful on this board and I really appreciate it. I could not have done it without your help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
You'll need to connect the wires on the alpine harness to the wires on the adapter harness that should have been installed with the sony. Undo the connections with the sony and then redo them with the alpine. Its a matter of matching up the colors. You'll also need to run a remote turn on and RCAs for the basstube. Instructions on that is in the sig.

the door panel uses two torx screws underneath the clips by the handle. You also need to remove the lock plunger and handle trim. Then use a screwdriver, starting at the bottom, and pry nthe door out. It will pop off easy enough. You will need to cut the old tweeters loose (glued in place) and glue the new ones in the factory lockring.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Neutral Member

ultraviolet353 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement