Rainbow Audio Direct Replacement Speakers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Touring is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone had any experience with Rainbow Audio replacement speakers? They are advertised as direct-replacement component speakers that are built to spec. Their website has them listed for various BMW (and other European) models:

RAC - Rainbow Audio Components

If anyone has:

1- Do they produce high-quality sound?
2- Can they be used with HK-upgraded models?
3- Do they function with the in-car phone?

The replacement components seem to be sold primarily in Germany, but they are supposedly sold through Alumapro dealers in the United States. I have had horrible luck with resonances and poor sound quality from the front passenger speaker. I am not sure if it is the speaker, the head unit, the amplifier, the sound processor, or problematic wiring. The dealer replaced the speaker once -- a short-lived remedy as the sound is even worse now -- very distracting.

I want to keep everything stock and know that with HK, the options are limited. Several local dealers have said that the only option is to start from scratch. I DON'T want to replace the HU even though I know there are much better options.

Thanx,

Miles
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
The speakers in your link don't appear to be oem replacements. I say that because every Bimmer I've owned has a three way component system upfront and a two way seperate out back. That link offers two way seperates.

If you wanna keep everything oem, buy new speakers at the dealer. Aftermarket speakers are better, but exhibit significantly better build quality. This added beefiness requires more power than do oem speakers. Therefore aftermarket speakers used with an oem amp and head unit would yield a loss in amplitude.

From your description, your problems sound representative of an old used up speaker (not your amp or head unit). While it's possible a channel of your oem amp is going, it's not likely.

If you have any plans to add an aftermarket head unit (doesn't sound like you do), replace with nice aftermarket speakers, if not, go with oem.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point
jllphan definitely knows his shite when it comes to all things audio!

I upgraded my H/U (Car Deck) to the MP3 player I wanted first, going from 5 to 22 watts RMS before I get my 5 1/4 Infinity Reference Series for my E36 325i: http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/pr...Ser=REF&Cat=COS

Otherwise they would sound great until common road noise and increased distortion from the overworked Car Deck took over...
docrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics