Radio and Zune help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1998/BMW/M3
Photos:
Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
Radio and Zune help

What do I need to buy to get my radio to work in my car? I have an aftermarket hu and remember needing to buy something for the radio antenna to hook up. Anyone know? Also, anyone have any experience with Zune's? I just bought a 30gb today and need to get the radio working before i can use it in my car
Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Two things, a wiring harness and an antenna adpater. In the Metra world (which most car audio places carry) its a 90-8590, and a 40-VW10. My buddy has had a Zune for almost a year now (1st gen 30G), and its great, no issues at all. He likes the software because its ease of use.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Linds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Linds
I just use a wire that plugs in the front of my headunit for my Zune.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
i has ipod wit adapter connected in the back of the headunit...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Linds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond reputeLinds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Linds
Yeah, I think it depends on what HU you have, but I think most have what you use, Shahid. I should do that, it would be so much nicer than having 6 feet of cord floating around.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Do I need to buy a different harness than I have already? I have an Alpine 9833 HU and I already bought a harness to make that work. What kind of stores carry the antenna?
Mine has the hookup in the back of the hu, and I think the Zune's FM transmitter will be alot nicer than hooking it up to a cord.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
By using an FM transmitter, you get audio that's only as good as the FM tuner in the radio. Even though the 9833 has a decent tuner, it'll sound better piped in directly through the port in the back of the headunit. With .mp3's, you really dont get as good as sound as the original .wav file that the cd was recorded in the first place. Then you take the lower quality .mp3, change it over to an fm signal, throw it through the air, receiving it through the tuner's antenna, and then transmit it back to an analog signal. There's just too many conversions to retain a quality signal. If you can pipe it directly to the port in the back of the radio, you have your .mp3 audio, directly into the preamp section, and out to your speakers. It's the same as having an .mp3 disc burnt and popping it in the cd slot. You can tuck all the cord in the dash except the foot or so you need. You can make it look ok if done right.

Hope this helps...

da_male_cow...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
I understand, you have a way with words. But even so, if I were to use the FM transmitter what do I need to get for the radio to work? Also, what cord do I need to hook the Zune up to the back up my HU
Old 02-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
With the FM transmitter, you just need to tune your radio to 88.3 or whatever the frequency(ies) they supply. Alpine makes this piece: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - KCA-121B
Zune (or about anyone) makes an 1/8" stereo jack (zune side) to RCA jack (KCA-121B side), and then turn on the AUX input on your radio. I think you hit and hold "setup" on your radio and scroll through til you find "AUX input", then turn it on, back out of the menu, and your set. Now when you push source, it should go CD, Tuner, AUX.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
So what kind of adapter do I need to just get straight up radio to work in my car? It's never worked since I replaced the factory HU, do you know the exact adapter I need for that?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds
Yeah, I think it depends on what HU you have, but I think most have what you use, Shahid. I should do that, it would be so much nicer than having 6 feet of cord floating around.
yea love how mines is connected...site right in that little sunglasses area..
Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissner
So what kind of adapter do I need to just get straight up radio to work in my car? It's never worked since I replaced the factory HU, do you know the exact adapter I need for that?
Its by Metra, 40-VW10 is the BMW to Motorola antenna adapter.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
So is the Zune going thru the FM transmitter like an Ipod when it goes wireless to a stereo in a house? I know there is a little box that you have to tune to a certain station.
I looked at Zune's and Ipod's alot and didn't know which one to get. The biggest complaint I read about Zune is the software sucks, they say it isn't user friendly at all. But I'm not a retard with electronics and can't imagine it being too confusing for me. Anyone have any experience with Zune's?
Is this the adaptor I need?
Parts Express:Metra 40-VW10 VW/European Jack To Motorola Plug

Last edited by Kissner; 02-29-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Bump
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
That is the correct adapter. The Zune's software is pretty much drag and drop from what my buddy says.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics