BMW Werkz banner

Radio Question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Golden Boy 
#1 ·
:uggh

I have a 1996 E39 with BMW business radio/cassette, wired for Cd Player.
However, there are a few very annoying problems with the radio.

> When I switch the radio on the volume is very loud regardless of last setting.

> The volume switch does not increase volume much for a few turns then suddenly increases it with only a slight nudge of the knob.

> If the radio is on when the ignition is switched off the volume goes very loud when you get back in and start the car again.

> The balance and fade are set to the left front of the car regardless of last setting.

> I have to press and hold the LD button for a few secs to get 'Tone Linear' to fix this problem or adjust the balance / fade individually. But if the ignition is off for more than a few seconds it reverts to annoying settings again.

My dealer said I needed a new radio, but everything else works fine and I don't want to spend 700euros on a new radio.

Q. Has anyone come across this before and if so can it be fixed? Is there a reset/default switch or setting for this radio?

All help appreciated as it is very annoying, and I want to install a Cd Changer, but not until I get this problem fixed.

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.