Radio Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:54 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have this problem? The radio goes off for no reason, and comes back (after entering the code) for no reason. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
Pull the head unit out and see if all the wires are connected properly. Only reason it would reset if is the power is being taken away
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Young Beamin'@Dec 27 2004, 11:03 PM
Pull the head unit out and see if all the wires are connected properly. Only reason it would reset if is the power is being taken away
[snapback]259346[/snapback]
Thanks for the info - can't pull the head unit out. Is there a special tool or way to do it?
Thanks in advance to anybody
Taylor
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
terribly easy.

-Find the two smallish flaps located at each end of the oem head unit mid way down the face of the radio and fold back.

-Using a small allen wrench (8mm Hex), loosen the the screw behind each flap.

-Pull

#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help...I got the radio out, checked the connections, put it back, and it's doing the same thing., which means sometimes it asks for code, sometimes not (which means it doesn't run, or if it does, for just about 1 minute).
When I was checking the connections, I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. I'm ready to go deeper into the problem, or just get a new unit.
Do you think that it's just the HU. I'm really hoping it's not the car.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

Taylor ghead
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:03 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
So sometimes it cuts off completely and then upon powering back up it asks for the code, and other times it just clicks off and then on.

It really does sound as though either the DIN plug itself is loose, or one of the wires in the harness is loose. If you have checked these and are positive it's not the case, I would say it's your headunit.

While at this point it isn't entirely necessary to replace it, you will be making a big improvement on the overall sound quality of your existing system. It should also solve problem, regardless.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, I pulled the thing out (thanks) and took a look. Checked connections, which looked OK, then 2 weird things happened:
1) With 2 plugs undone, (a small plug about the width of a pen, and part of the bundle of colored wires), the radio powered up, then later clicked off, as usual.
2) I then reattached evertything, then tried the "drive the car for an hour, then turn on the radio" suggestion on another part of this forum, and the radio has worked.

The ironic part": Part of running the car for an hour meant driving to the car audio shop. Maybe the radio "knew" it's days were numbered, and decided to behave.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics