radio doesnt keep memory! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
javieruz is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I just replaced the old stock radio that was all messed up with a new unit. Everything (well besides some whimes and quiet buzzing) works fine but the radio cannot keep its memory settings. It resets itself when you take the key out of ignition. I checked the constant+ wire and it does get voltage just like the ignition wire gets voltage when you turn the key. is there any trick to this make this work??? or anyone had the same problem??

thanks for your replies!

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>'87 325i Convertible</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Moved: Youll have better luck finding a reply here, I know I couldnt help you much.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:57 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
be sure that constant is hooked to the memory lead to your deck.

2008 128i Jetblack
#4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
You said the constant power wire gets voltage just like the ignition lead...it shouldn't. That's why they call it a constant hot. Use your multimeter to make sure you are getting +12 volts with the car off and the key out of the ignition. If not, threre is your problem. That is what that wire is intended to do, keep power to your deck to remember your presets, time, etc. I am asuming that you are hardwiring the deck in (i.e. your factory harness is no longer attached, just a mess of wires, if so maybe this will help you out (hope this isn't too small)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e36_200w_stereo_pinouts.gif
Views:	1141
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	6684  

#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
oh yeah, i do have +12V on te constant even the ignition is off. i guess i wasnt clear in my previus post.. sorry... but still no results... i tried to connect both constant and ignition wires together but the thing is that in that case even the OBC stays on all the time with the backlight on... anything else i can try??

btw: thanx for the wiring diagram too... it will help when i will go ahead and get rid of the stock amp in the back

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>'87 325i Convertible</span></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:37 AM
n00b

bimmer88 is an unknown quantity at this point
If it's an aftermarket radio the yellow wire is usually the constant. Not the red like a lot of people assume.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
hmmm, i have tried a lot of configurations... i will try to just use the yellow for constant then. the only thing in this case that puzzles me is that i also have a CD-changer unit that works through FM Radio and i connected that the same wasy as the radio (yellows, and reds) and it does not retain the memory information as well. so i noticed that with my set-up the memory on both is kept for maybe a minute after i take the ignition key out (what i mean is that there is probably some capacitor or something that provides charge for a while....) that is why i though it would be some sort of wiring problem...

i am really confused by this BMW setup, cos in other cars i never had such problems...

#8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 AM

if you can try another HU... then you will know if its wiring or a problem with the HU. But the only time i've ever seen/heard of this it was wiring.

2008 128i Jetblack
#9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah i tried two head units with the wiring and the same problem happens. Maybe I can try to turn the key off, waith a while and check the constant voltage then again. c what happens.

#10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:39 PM

check the constant and check the harness too. be sure there isn't a break someplace in the connection so that the HU doesnt get the power. worst case take it to an installer they will get it fixed up for ya in no time im sure.

2008 128i Jetblack
#11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:43 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
J:
List what you are trying to get to work (Company and model # ex: Sony CDX-MP80) and I will try to steer you in the right direction. Doesn't sound like you are far off. Also, I forgot what forum I was in that diagram was for a '95, I'll see if I can find a diagram for an E30.

#12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
i am trying to install SONY CDX-5270 (i also tried XR-C2200 with the same problem) so far i've been trying just red as constant hot and yellow ignition.i am going to try to reverse those right now and see what happens...

thanks for your continuing help

#13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:17 PM

when the car is off where you able to have the stereo on?

2008 128i Jetblack
#14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
ok i finally figured it out the yellow and red were switched... i guess i just dont pay attention. i had this stereo installed by myself in my honda accord and i guess i just confused the colors or something....... so thanks everyone for your comments...

#15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:40 PM

Anytime

2008 128i Jetblack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics