OEM changer and head unit mystery - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BobCT is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll try and keep this short and would appreciate ANY advise as I'm stumped. 1995 325i with Alpine changer and head unit. I bought the car with the OEM head unit and BMW/Alpine changer which owner had put in. Radio display is shot and owner replaced the battery the day before I picked it up and doesn't have the code. Owner told me the changer worked but I never actually tried it. With no code and bad LCD I take that one out and chuck it. I get another radio on ebay and when I hook it up and hit the radio/cd button all I get is "no tape". I never get the changer to play. I figure I must have gotten a bad radio but think it's unlikely since the thing is in perfect shape. Ok, I get another Alpine C33 radio - same thing.
I check continuity on the cable front to back and everything is ok. Gotta be a bad changer right ? I send it back to an Alpine service center and it comes back with a note " no problem found". My friend also has a '95 (with one of the C33 radios from me). I had him come over, hook up the changer, same thing. Gotta rule out the cable at this point since it's two of them in different cars right ? I call up the repair center and ask how they test and the guy told me that they hook it up to a head unit and actually play it for a couple of hours. For some reason the changer doesn't recognize the head unit. Does anyone know of any wierd issues ? I'm almost positive I looked at the model number of the old unit in order to know what to get in it's place. I know the 2 new ones looked exactly the same.

Summary: 2 head units, 2 cars and cables, 1 changer that has been bench tested. Help !! I don't know what to do at this point. In the meantime, I bought a whole Blaupunkt setup and can't even test in my car anymore. The changer is in perfect shape and I would like to sell it to my friend or on ebay.

thanks,
Bob

- that wasn't short
BobCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the C33 unit is for the 96+ cars and is not compatible with pre-96 changers. Even though the head unit may look similar, it's not compatible because of some tech changes in the way they communicate.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
BobCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah hah !! that would make sense. Do you happen to know which model looks like the C33 and would be compatible ? thanks for the help..

Bob
BobCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
can't remember exactly...though you'll hear from a lot of forum members on this. There is a way to hit a couple of buttons on the player to find out which model is which...and of course there's always surfing the net...
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Rainman is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about head units, but for changers - 1995 and older you need a "non I-bus" changer, for 1996 and newer you need a "I-bus" changer. It's the way the changer communicates with the head unit.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics