No Sound Need Help Asap - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 04 330ci Conv
Photos:
The Xecutionr is on a distinguished road
No Sound Need Help Asap

Ok I Got A 04 330ci With The Business Cd And The Sound Package So I Think Its Amplified.. So Anyway I Get The Wire Harness I Hook Everything Up Fine And I Get No Sound.. The Sations Are There And The Pty Still Works And All But I Have Absolutly No Sound... When I Put The Stock Radio Back In Sound If Fine So What Do I Need To Do To Fix This.. The Guy Are The Car Audio Place Said I Need To Find The Wire That Puts Power To The Amp And Tap Into It But Of Course He Wanted To Charge Me To Do It..... Any Suggestions Anyone
The Xecutionr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
You must have a Kenwood or Sony. On your adapter harness, you have a blue and a blue with a white stripe. Your headunit should have the same colors. You need to swap the two wires. Do me a favor, insert a CD and see if it plays. My guess is it will not but the radio will. Your radio will have a blue with a white stripe that is the power AMPLIFIER wire and I am thinking you have it hooked to the solid blue wire. swap them and you should be ok. Let me know one way or the other.

da_male_cow...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
the harness coming from the stock radio harness only has the obvious black red yellow and all the speaker wires but it has blue for power antenna orange for dimmer and thats it...the stock harness has 16 pin holes and the adaptor harness has only 13...every wire coming from the radio is hooked up correctly.. except the ccd wire but thats for a back up cam.... oh yea its a dvd player.....anyway...everything else works.. the touch screen the bluetooth with my phone and playing the dvd but just no sound.... does it have something to do with me needing another adaptor or anything since i have the sound package and i think they were saying that it is amplified and i need to get power tot he amp
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
any help... anyone???
Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
damn still no info on this
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Look on the car side of the wiring harness. I am thinking it is a white (kind of a dirty white) wire that turns on the amp. It should just be a matter of putting power to that remote turn on lead. Let me know what you find out. There may be an additional piece you might need, but thats just for reducing the signal going into the amp. Also, if you have a multimeter or test light, check the blue wire coming from the radio to make sure it has 12V on it when you turn the radio on.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
ok so i said fuck it ill let the place do it for 65 buck this way if they fuck anyhting up they are liable.. he didnt get it done cuz he didnt know i had the rca wired in the box but he said the problem is that the radio draws too much power from the stock amp and sees that as a short and shuts off sound because when i dont connect the back speakers it works but when i turn the volume up sound goes off so he said he needs to hook up the speakers by rca so it doesnt draw too much power from the stock amp.... does that make sense to you... i really dont care as long as my shit works the way its supposed to
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. They make an adapter piece that uses the RCAs from the aftermarket radio and sends it down the "speaker wires" like the factory does and gives it the correct signal. Its not drawing too much power from the amp. What is happening is you have a large signal going into an amplifier, the amp is used to the low level signal from your stock radio. The amp doesnt know what to do with the WAY higher signal, and shuts down protecting itself. Its really doing what it is supposed to. I cant imagine why the shop either a) didnt know or b) knew and didnt tell you that BMW sound systems are tricky. If they dont make it right you might call another shop.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
yea thats kinda how he explained it so hopefully hes on his game and gets it done the right way he has the car now.. ill let you know how it turns out
Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
radio now works the sounds doesnt go as loud as the stock radio but i figure ill eventually but in an amp and some different speakers
Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Yeah, if you can get rid of the stock amp, youre always better, especially if you are going to keep the car.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
the speakers get nowhere near as loud as the stock radio... is that because its maybe bypassing the amp or do those speakers just suck that much
Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
They are matched to the output of the stock radio (i.e. they handle 20 watts and the stock amp puts out 20 watts). The adapter they used knocks the signal down to a lower level (probably lower than the factory) to interface with the amp. It works, but you know the outcome. The only thing you can really do, is either bypass the factory amp or get a different headunit that has more voltage on the RCA cable, so it will give the stock amp more signal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics