New Installation??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Bunny Capricorn is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 92'525 which I got with a after market radio running thru a harness thru the beamer factory amp. The problems is only the left side plays strong. When I move the balance to the right side I get a very week signal.

I recently changed my radio and I noticed that the job done behind the dash was very poor. Wires cut and mended everywhere like an ignorant person got a hold of it. At this point I'm not sure if its wired correctly to the after market deck or if the Amp is blown on the right side.

1. Is there a way I can test the factory amp?
2. Were is the factory amp located?

I just recently bought a 4 channel amp (for the 8 speaker system; no sub) to re-wire the whole car. Would this be my best bet and how difficult is it to run the wires for the front 6 speakers to the rear for my amp....and if so, what kind of Crossovers or Speakers with Crossovers should I use for the front.

Oh.....one more thing.......what size speakers go in the rear?

Thanks allot folks!!!
Bunny Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunny Capricorn@Jul 13 2005, 10:11 AM
I have a 92'525 which I got with a after market radio running thru a harness thru the beamer factory amp. The problems is only the left side plays strong. When I move the balance to the right side I get a very week signal.

I recently changed my radio and I noticed that the job done behind the dash was very poor. Wires cut and mended everywhere like an ignorant person got a hold of it. At this point I'm not sure if its wired correctly to the after market deck or if the Amp is blown on the right side.

1. Is there a way I can test the factory amp?
2. Were is the factory amp located?

I just recently bought a 4 channel amp (for the 8 speaker system; no sub) to re-wire the whole car. Would this be my best bet and how difficult is it to run the wires for the front 6 speakers to the rear for my amp....and if so, what kind of Crossovers or Speakers with Crossovers should I use for the front.

Oh.....one more thing.......what size speakers go in the rear?

Thanks allot folks!!!
[snapback]361907[/snapback]
Yes, throw the factory amp in the fireplace this winter and use your new amp to run all 8 speakers. On a good note, look behind the carpet panel on the drivers side in the trunk. You will find the factory amplifier there. The wires will (should) be in a twisted fashion. These are all the wires going to each speaker. Hook these up to your aftermarket amplifier, and run a set (or two) RCA cables to your aftermarket radio.

It gets REAL goofy trying to incorporate your factory amp and an aftermarket one. Delete the problem child and you will have better sound. After you get your amp installed and your speakers are still low or absent, you may have a bad speaker. Just do one thing at a time and you'll be ok.

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
I will try this da bull and get back with you.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
no problem, I'm here to help when I can...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
I strongly disagree about him having better sound. How is he going to have better sound with no crossovers?

He needs to get (or build) a set of crossovers. Even if they consist of just "bass blockers" - its better than nothing. Throwing out your factory amp while keeping factory speakers is a bad idea - because in the amp is an essential part of the speaker system (the crossovers)

It's real important that you keep those! Simply hooking the old speakers up to the new amp will sound pretty much like crap.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ok folks.....Question time now. How do I get all six component speakers plus my two rear speakers hooked up to a four channell amp????

I keep hearing about this "crossover".....will this bind my front six so all I have is two left and rights coming from the front?

Come together like Voltron with some knowledge for ya' boy please!!

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep. theres part of the crossover problem. Lack of crossover does not allow this.

You NEED one.

Basically, all you can do is hook up the woofers and leave the tweeters disconnected.
That'll surely sound fairly crappy.

Choices are
: another factory amp
: build or get some crossovers from ebay, etc, etc
: run only the woofers
: get new front and rear speakers.

even if you COULD just wire the pairs of speakers together, if your amp isn't 2 ohm stable, you'll have heat issues with that thing after a long period of time (probably not a major concern either way since your not driving subs, power hungry drivers, etc) AND the bass frequencies hitting the tweeters will blow them.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics