New Hu - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
phathaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Reading through the forums i have been slightly confused, I read in one post about Crutchfield wanting to sell something because aftermarket HU's put out too much power for the stock amp to handle, but I have heard in multiple places that nothing is needed but the standard wiring harness. It would be a great help if this was clarified for me.
phathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
phathaway is an unknown quantity at this point
it might also help if i told you its a 94 325i with the 8 speaker system with amp in it
phathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
no... just run it straight into the amp. The PAC OEM device, doesnt really do much.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i noticed that the metra wiring harness I just bought for my 97 328is with HK only has inputs for L/R Front/Rear. If I hook the outputs from my HU into just those 4 connections on the wiring harness will all ten speakers work?
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
phathaway: Yeah, you shouldn't need that thing from cruthcfield. There's no way for me to be able to tell you for sure (depends on your specific brand head unit), so you should just try it and see.

Basically the the oem head unit just works as a preamp. It takes whatever source (AM, FM, CD, etc.) breaks it up into four chanels, and send it to the oem amp to be amplified and sent out the 8 or 10 channels. SO when you replace the deck with an aftermarket unit, it does precisely the same thing.

The only thing you have to worry about, is that the voltage on the aftermarket deck's speaker outputs is similar to that of the oem amp. If it's not, then you will need that thingy-ma-bob that was talked about from crutchfield.

wulley: does that answer your question too?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes it does. I thoughts the factory amp distributed the signals but wasn't sure.
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics