BMW Werkz banner

New Head Unit

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  iantosca 
#1 ·
I got a new head unit today ... the adapter, everything needed to install. My body guy told me to have someone do it because if i cross wires wrong it cna short out my electrical system.

Is this true? Plus, say I was to do it myself ... do i just attach all of the wires by color? I noticed the crimp caps, but if the wire are connected how are you supposed to slide them on?

#3 ·
I couldn't really find anything about the wires using the search.

This is actually about the harnesses. The wires coming off of the harness that came with my new head unit and the bmw harness i purchased along with the sony.

I am told that i have to connect the wires. Do i just connect the wires by color on the 2 seperate harnesses, crimp cap them and that's it?

#6 ·
The colors on the wiring harness need to be mated to the matching color wire on the apdater harness. I prefer to connect them using uninsulated butt connectors and using a paint-on electrical tape. Anyway you connect them is fine. If you cross a wire you won;t short the system, the most you will do is make the wrong speaker play, two speakers not play, or blow a speaker (very unlikely). Unless you are colorblind, you won;t have any issue.

#7 ·
Alright guys, with me luck, my car gets out of the shop at 10:00am ...i will let you know how it goes, and thanks for all of the help.

#8 ·
Head Unit installed successfully. Thanks el presidente, jllphan and cisco kid and anyone else that helped out. You guys :rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.