Need some advice on power fluctuations - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
(Thread Starter)
Need some advice on power fluctuations

So, my stereo setup was in my car when I bought it, so obviously I'm not 100% sure how it was done. I'm having the problem that whenever I turn up big bass, the lights on my dashboard and OBC flicker and sometimes the stock speakers cut out (although the bass keeps thumping). Sometimes my Valentine even loses power during one of these episodes. My bet is this is not good.

My hypothesis is that the subs are drawing more power than my alternator is capable of generating while also running everything else, so I get a brown-out. What can I do to remedy this situation? Is this a sign that my alternator is going bad, or perhaps my battery?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 09:18 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
So, my stereo setup was in my car when I bought it, so obviously I'm not 100% sure how it was done. I'm having the problem that whenever I turn up big bass, the lights on my dashboard and OBC flicker and sometimes the stock speakers cut out (although the bass keeps thumping). Sometimes my Valentine even loses power during one of these episodes. My bet is this is not good.

My hypothesis is that the subs are drawing more power than my alternator is capable of generating while also running everything else, so I get a brown-out. What can I do to remedy this situation? Is this a sign that my alternator is going bad, or perhaps my battery?
Depending on how long youve had your system, it may be time to start replacing components. First the free stuff. Clean the cable ends, have the battery load tested at a car parts shop, have them also test the alternator. I'm betting the alternator is weak, probably due to stereo, if youve got any sort of system at all. The factory alternator is really designed to keep the car running, run all the factory installed equipment, and a little reserve for some extra stuff someone might install later (maybe 10-20% extra amperage).

Lets say the alternator does 100 amps (cant remember on your car, but for arguements sake..). 30-40 assigned to the car, 20-30 for lighting, 10 for audio, 20 for reserve. A typical audio system might draw 20-40 amps. Lets say 20 amps. Everything else working properly, this would be ok. 21 amp draw and above, it starts drawing from the battery, plus your alternator is working at full tilt all the time. Eventually something has to give.

Now, add in a weak battery, dirty cabling, your system probably draws more than 20 amps, possibly weak alternator, and some "current-drawing-bass-music" you got issues now. Plus your lights are the only real noticable drop in voltage. Your radar is probably sensitive to voltage changes (like a quick drop to 10 volts or so would probably shut it off).

Remedy: sell your stereo and buy a motorcycle

Actually check about getting an upgraded alternator (rewinding yours, buying new from like Ohio Generator, an additional one), a better quality battery, and make sure all your connections are tight and clean. Any dirty cables will add more resistance, resulting in loss in voltage. Hope this helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
(Thread Starter)
Fantastic. Thanks very much.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 PM
77th Gear Member

325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light 325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Capacitors are a great way to significantly reduce amperage draw directly from Battery/Alternator!
They are essentially short term batteries that maintain a high capacitance and allow your system to draw from the stored energy in the capacitor rather than directly from the car's available power resources.

http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/prod...&section=three

I have a half farad cap in a system I haven't yet installed in my bimmer, but when it was in my honda, it saved me from killing my alternator and kept the bass sounding tight and clear.

DaBull's recommendations are all excellent however, and if you follow through, you could easily see a 10% increase in total power available from battery/alternator, but it will take TIME AND MUCH CARE to really do it right!

Check it out!

Josh W.

Not currently on the Bimmer kick. Drivin' a 2003 Silver Civic at the moment, but I am STILL the Founding Member of the "325eXTATIC You're my hero" club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <b>superdeadman</b><br>Josh W. IS my hero!

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.

Last edited by 325eXTATIC; 03-15-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics