Need help re: 94 325i convt upgrades - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
igotthepowers is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
OK, I have read a lot of posts here, roadfly and pelican, so I think I have enough knowledge to start moving ahead... with your help of course! I have a 94 325i convertible with a brand new top, hence the desire to make the system look stock with a stock HU plus I have the factory CD changer that I would like to continue to utilize.

Head unit - I have read the thread(s) attributable to BMW engineer who said that the HUs had high pass cutoffs at around 9-10k hz in the C33 line. He suggests tha a C43 or CD43 (all Alpine) is the way to go. I can't argue since I know it fits the pin setup and since I need a stock HU to operate the CD changer. I currently have the precursor to the C33 (not sure of the distinction but it has the separate buttons for the presets and the display in top right as opposed to the rectangular setup and display of the C33 and C43). Anybody know if a C43 (or CD43) will operate my existing factory CD changer (Alpine made I believe)?

Front speakers - I am definitely doing the 5.25 inch 2 way coaxes in the front kick panels. Is anybody aware of any problems using something like the MB Quart RKC 113s? Advantage here is I plan to leave the door panels alone and not use the existing speakers.

Rear speakers - I have conflicting info about this. Will 5.25s work in the rear side panels? If so, I will use the above speakers or the component RSC 213s in the stock locations. However, if 5.25s will not work, what are your suggestions? damn 4" components cots more than the 5.25s!

Amp - Definitely want to use a 5 (or 6 channel) amp for simplicity, something along the lines of a Soundstream PIC5.700 (50x4 + 150x1 @ 4ohm and < .03 THD). Hopefully can mount this where factory amp currently located - any insight there? Also, power requirements... do I need to run a separate power line, fuse, etc. or can I use everything from the existing amp? Also, what wiring harness or other hardware is required? Will I have to use speaker-level connections into the amp or does the connection into the old BMW amp allow for something more preferable?

Sub - Open to all suggestions. Figure I need only a single voice coil sub if I go with 1 channel output from a 5 channel amp. Considering mounting a "free-air" sub in the trunk bolted directly over the ski pass thru. Is this feasible? If so, any suggestions for free air subs? If not, guess I will need to do a single 10 or 12 in a sealed box, presumably aiming the woofer thru the ski pass thru. Suggestions for brand/size of sub?

Sorry for the long post... especially for a newbie!!! Any and all help will be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
cant think of any free airs off the top of head...but have you considered a bass tube?

And why put the components in the rear? Use them up front and the coax in the back.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Neutral Member

igotthepowers is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
yep, had that reversed. 5.25 components in the front, 5.25 or 4 inch coaxes in rear (not yet sure if 5.25s will fit). will probably do a 10 inch sub in a box in the trunk, aimed thru the ski bag hole in the convertible. any other advice on some of my other questions??? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics