Need help with head unit problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tbhtjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tbhtjd
Need help with head unit problem

I installed an aftermarket RCA head unit in my car about a year ago and it has worked fine. I installed 2 new amps about 8 months ago and they have worked well. I recently uninstalled a digital music jukebox I had connected to the CD changer input to make room for my ipod.

Ever since then, the audio out RCAs have been messed up. Nothing will play unless I jiggle the RCA cables from the audio out ports on the head unit. I keep adjusting the RCA cables until they work, but as soon as I reinstall the head unit, the same problem comes up again.

Alright if that made any sense... could it be a problem with the head unit or possibly the cables? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Tim
tbhtjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Grab another set of RCAs, run them over the top of the seat, install the headunit, see of that fixes your problem. If it does, you have bad cables, if it doesnt, you have an issue with the jacks in your headunit.

Just a silly thing, are your amps still on whenever this happens? I was wondering if your remote turn on connection is possibly making/breaking connection. Kinda strange for all 4 (I am assuming 4) RCAs to quit at once. Just food for thought. Hope this helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tbhtjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tbhtjd
Thanks for the quick reply...

As I started to put in a new temporary set of RCA cables I decided to try the old ones one more time. I found that they worked fine with the head unit out of its spot in the dash. However, when pushed beyond half way into the dash, the sound would cut out. Leaving the music on I managed to fit the head unit in and adjust the cables so the sound stayed on. I am going to see if this lasts and if not then try the other set of cables.

Also, seeing the shotty job I did wiring the remote turn on wire made me think that could be the culprit, but the RCA connections seemed a more logical culprit considering the sound cuts out when the head unit is inserted into the cramped dash. Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

-Tim
tbhtjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
No problem, lemme know what you figure out. RCAs are pretty delicate cables, so I am pretty sure they are the problem, but I just wanted to throw out some additional places to look. If they are bent pretty hard and/or setting against some air ducts or something similar behind the dash, RCA cables can break easy over time with vibration and such. Good luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics