need help in choosing an amp - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ultraviolet353 is an unknown quantity at this point
I found a really great eBay store that sells car audio. I am buying Alpine 9835 head unit, MB Quart RCE-213 5.25 Components, MB QUART PKC-110 4" Premium for rear deck, and I have a Bazooka powered sub. I want to buy an amp to power the MB Quarts front and back, but know nothing about amps. This seller has a bunch of amps for great prices but I have no idea what to choose.

I need a favor though... their amps are on this page:

http://stores.ebay.com/w-w-w-indoaudio-c-o...displayZ2QQtZkm

I'd prefer not to spend over $150 (less if I can get away with it)--if someone could help me out on a recommendation that will do a really nice job powering the above mentioned speakers, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, one general question: if I want to power the 5.25 components up front and the 4" rear deck speakers what kind of amp do I need? 2 channel, multi channel?
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
How are you planning to wire the new amp? Most 318s dont have factory amps, so you'd have to run all new speaker wire to each location. You will also need a 4 channel amp for each of the speakers. You will also have to creat a crossover network at the amp too.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
A little more info would help before I can recommend something. What is the suggested power rating for your front speakers and rear speakers?

I would probably push the fronts at 50-60watts RMS and the back at 40, only because they are 4" though.

A four channel amp would be idle, but you could run everything off of a two channel.

There were two MTX amps in your price range, the Thunder 404 and the Thunder 564. The 404 was 50watts and the 564 was 70. I'd go for the 70 if your speakers can take it.

I like alpine amps, and would probably go with the Alpine MRP-f240, but it's only 40watts.

Hope this helps.
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
This barely meets the RMS on the MBs. Best you'll find in that price bracket though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...775385&tc=photo
Old 09-19-2004, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ultraviolet353 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the car used and it already had a Sony head unit put in--I plan on taking it to an installer to have evrything done--I believe I could do it myself, but I'd rather pay the $ for an expert install.What about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...046966&tc=photo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...773478&tc=photo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...379792&tc=photo

Oh, and another question, if I get the Alpjne amp rated at 40 Watts RMS and my Alipne head unit is rated at 26W RMS, is it even worth getting an amp?

Money aside...with the MB Quarts I mentioned above, how much wattage do I need?
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
40-100W RMS
Old 09-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
thge pheonix digital...shit. Even the manufacturer fails to list the THD rating at ratedn power. Any amp can produce that much power. However, what comes out won't sound like music.

The MTX...slightly more power than the Alpine's RMS. Alpine is a better brand though, and while I didn't check, im certain the THD and S/N ratio are lower/higher on the alpine.

The Pheonix Gold is also ok. It has slightly more power than the Alpine, but a slightly higher THD. The S/N iss higher on the PG, which is also good. It basciallty comes down to what you want size wise and volume wise. The Alpine is the best amp with the lowest THD, but being so close to the the PGs THD the higher S/N may come into play at higher volumes (110dB vs 100dB on the Alpine) makin it the better. If nothing else, choose on size. The alpine has less of a footprint.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
Quote:
Originally posted by ultraviolet353@Sep 19 2004, 12:19 AM
Oh, and another question, if I get the Alpjne amp rated at 40 Watts RMS and my Alipne head unit is rated at 26W RMS, is it even worth getting an amp?
I got a 80 watt/channel Kicker amp for around $180 so there's no reason for you to buy a 40 watt Alpine.

To answer your question, I had no problem powering Boston's RC620 components using an Eclipse head unit in my last car. I actually returned the amp that I had bought after trying it out just with the power from the head unit...plenty loud and clear for me. If you were using a factory head I'd say no, but the Alpine may be enough for you.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics