Need A Basic But Decent System - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brianlh is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

after browsing the forums for awhile, it's obvious that i'm not the only one that thinks the stock system is a bit weak. i just recently got a 2002 325i Sedan, and am considering upgrading the sound system. i generally listen to hip hop, but huge amounts of bass are not my main concern (of course, a little is nice). i just need a basic system that will provide a little volume (heck, anything has to be better than what's in there right now) and quality. i'm a newbie to sound systems and really tried searching the forums for some info on basic setups, but haven't picked up on much (other than links to a couple sites that tell me what i supposedly need - for sure probably more expensive and excessive power compared to what i actually need)..

my question is, what is an economic route to take in order to improve my system a bit? from what i understand from the alpine website's little suggestions, i have 5.25" in the front, 4" in the back, but correct me if i'm wrong. what would be a decent entry-level/basic system that won't break the bank (i know it's a bimmer, but i'm lucky enough to get it as a gift from my parents as a graduation present, and don't have much money to blow at the moment)? i would assume that the head unit and speakers would be the most important to replace, and almost certainly an amp as well.. what about the sub - is it crucial? i noticed some amps come as an amp/sub combination - are these any good? ANY and ALL suggestions are certainly welcome - brand names, features, what's necessary vs. what isn't, where i should purchase, what kind of deodorant i should use - give me anything you got.

sorry if this has been asked before, but i really couldn't manage to find much addressing my particular concerns/issues. thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies!

brianlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
get a new amp, but make sure to by-pass the factory amp. i bought a 660 watt kenwood amp, multi-channel and put a 12" MBQuartz sub in the back. the bass hits are nice now, not super, but nice. next up is the speakers. keep in mind, you have to remove the door panel to access your speakers, it's not as simple as other domestic cars.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
forgot to mention, JL Audio makes custom subs for your car. they take up less space and aren't far more expensive than a typical amp/box install.

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series2.html
Old 03-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
brianlh is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm.. okay, so from what you said here's my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong):
so the most significant difference in sound quality will initially be due to the amplifier?
then i should follow with speakers, then the HU? where do the subs fit in there? i don't really care about showing off or blowing my eardrums out - i just want some quality at a reasonable volume (not too quiet, but not too loud either).
brianlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics