Need Advice On Hu Replacement Options - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 328i
Photos:
Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this subject has been done over and over and opinions are like "AH's", everyone has one but I want to see if any of you have experience with the following HU's.

I spent some time (actually allot of time) with the Crutchfield rep the other evening and this is the result. I told him I am replacing a OEM business unit in my 328i. I want to stay with mostly black on the HU with the ability to play MP3, WMA, CDR-RW, XM sat. He went directly to the KENWOOD line. (we later discussed Alpine). Included I may want to install a Sub later. I asked him why Kenwood and his response was that he just liked their numbers/specifications.

His recommendation was: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889. Awesome specs and Kenwood is the only aftermarket brand that I can find that offers RDS (Radio Data System). We looked at the FM sensitivity, SNR, and CD Frequency response. It also has one of the highest pre amp outputs at 5 amp. The buttons can be programmed to red. 2 year warranty. ($449)

Next recommendation: Kenwood EZ-700SR. No RDS (which I think I want and may be the diciding factor since I cannot get it on others) ($379)

Next recommendation: Alpine CDA-9853. No RDS but good numbers and prodomently black face. He indicated that the majority of Alpines were silver/grey.

I can get the Kenwood KDC-MP828 locally for $379 at Best Buy. It has RDS but the face is mostly silver/grey. Cruchfield does not offer it so I cannot check the specs.

I have read most of the threads on the forum and looked at your photos. I don't want to spend tons, but I am somewhat of a gadget freak and only want to do this once.

Any good advice will be apreciated and I know you can spend as much $ at this problem as you have in the old account. I'm trying to do it smartly.

Larry
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics