BMW Werkz banner

need advice on $750 audio overhaul '94 318is

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  jllphan 
#1 ·
I have a '94 BMW 318is with stock speakers and average Sony CD head unit. No changer. I have $750 to spend for a CD head unit and some great speakers front (Floor and Door) and back and perhaps a sub. I am not interested in a CD changer and if I can get away for under $750 that's cool to. I am a Car Audio novice so any soupo to nuts recommendations would be great--thanks. I am looking for a true, rich sound experience that is not too bright.

I am in Los Angeles so if anyone can recommend a good place to go that would be helpful too; I was thinking of going to Al and Ed's.

#2 ·
Nakamichi (CD-400)

Alpine (CDA-9826)

or Kenwood Headunit (KDC-MPV5025)

Infinity Reference Seperates Front (and back if applicable, if not coaxials)

Alpine V12, Kenwood Excelon, or other good name brand Mono Amp
Kicker CompVR 12" Sub

If you buy online, or find some competive shops out there in LA you should be able to pick all this up for right around your budget. Professional install will take you over if you can't do it yourself, but this is the best system I could recomend for your alotted budget.

#3 ·
crutchfield.com has the best prices.. go there and pick out what you want!!! plus its practically free shipping!.. they even send your do it yourself instructions.. and if u need anymore help.. leave a post!! we are here to help!

#6 ·
Infinities tweets also generally use silk, which is not something used by most (if any) car audio companies and is generally reserved for home audio.

Also, some parts of the installation you may want to have done by others, but I have a link in my sig that should help you out if youi decide to do some/all of it yourself.

#8 ·
Originally posted by ultraviolet353@Aug 14 2004, 01:42 AM
I have a '94 BMW 318is with stock speakers and average Sony CD head unit. No changer. I have $750 to spend for a CD head unit and some great speakers front (Floor and Door) and back and perhaps a sub. I am not interested in a CD changer and if I can get away for under $750 that's cool to. I am a Car Audio novice so any soupo to nuts recommendations would be great--thanks. I am looking for a true, rich sound experience that is not too bright.

I am in Los Angeles so if anyone can recommend a good place to go that would be helpful too; I was thinking of going to Al and Ed's.
al and eds is a little over priced and they try to get you to buy shit you dont need...

but if u want to goto south OC...there is a shop that works with al and eds, but they will beat any price on products and usually install free. they will beat any price u find online they say. they are installing my sub next week

#9 ·
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4600MP $155.00
Components: MB Quart DSE213 5.25" for doors $120
MB Quart DSD216 6.5" for rear $150
Amplifiers: JBL BP80.4 for your speakers $170

Grand Total: $595.00

All of this is available at www.woofersetc.com they have really good prices. Can also check out Ebay for everything your looking for, you can find stores on there that will have rock bottom prices. just be sure to pick the right seller.

#11 ·
Originally posted by spieluhr@Aug 15 2004, 02:29 AM
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4600MP $155.00
Components: MB Quart DSE213 5.25" for doors $120
MB Quart DSD216 6.5" for rear $150
Amplifiers: JBL BP80.4 for your speakers $170

Grand Total: $595.00

\
Wouldn't get you a lot of low end, but if you exceeded your budget by a bill or so, you could add a sub as well.

Nakamichi doesn't impress most until you take off the cover. They don't go for fancy blinking lights, just what works (not to mention very BMW oem looking). Their internals are unmatched as is their sound quality.

#19 ·
No. While the BMW oem's aren't bad, you have no where to go but up in terms of sound quality by adding aftermarket speakers. The ONLY negative to doing this is aftermarket speakers aren't as efficient meaning you need more input power to reach the same volume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.