BMW Werkz banner

Need Advice

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sean 
#1 ·
Ok, so a buddy of mine has a custom car shop. I told him what i was looking for and he gave me some advice. He is going to hook me up with a kenwood touchscreen dvd player, kenwood mp3 keg, and build me a custom enclosure with kenwood amp and 2 12" kenwood subs for my trunk. Now, the problem is this, i know absolutely nothing about audio/video hookups and what is good and what isnt in the custom car industry, but i've seen his work and its awesome. I'm not really sure why i'm going with all kenwood, its his recommendation? So we go to discuss price and he tells me he'll do it all for nothing if i give him my watch. The dude is absolutely in love with this watch i got for graduation a few years back. I never wear the damn thing though because its a rolex and i've just always been afraid of damaging it or something cause i know they are supposed to be expensive. So, do i trade my watch for all the equipment and labor? Is this a good deal? Or should i just pay him. I feel a little weird about the situation, it just seems strange. I dont mind getting rid of my watch, cause i never wear the thing, but i feel like he's ripping me off or something. Any advice?

Would it be really bad if i went to another shop and got an estimate on all the parts and labor. I would feel bad doing that, but it just seems so weird.

#2 ·
OOOOH dear god pay the man! Dont give him your watch... a total amount for all the crap that he wants to sell you would be maybe.... 900 to 1000 for the headunit, speakers probably 200, the amps 300 to 400 then the subs at a whole 100... the install might be worth it if he wants to run fiberglass... a good fiberglass enclosure can run anywhere from 1000 to 5000. The selection that he made with all kenwood, in my opinion is because its all crap. the amps are alright... the headunit isnt too bad but the look of them are all horrid. The subs you can get a pair for like 100. If you want some personal opinions dont buy kenwood... i have seen many amps get messed up really easy. The kenwood products dont have a whole load of features or quality that a lot of other manufacturers offer.

Deck/ Headunit- Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse... if you want a flip out get a Pioneer or Eclipse... read about some screens dying out from Alpine

Speakers- Diamond Audio all the damn way! i have two sets and the will scream your ears off ahahha and have perfect clarity too.

Subs- Diamond Audio, Phoenix Gold (high end), Alpine (type-r's), Eclipse, Infinity, JL Audio... just a few

Amps- Phoenix Gold, Alpine, Eclipse, JL Audio, Precision Power Inc. (PPI), Memphis

If you dont want to take my word for my opinions its totally cool, i used to work for a car audio shop... and we like everyone else had our money items... kenwood was one of them. its marked up pretty good... so he probably wasnt going to take much of a hit on product and a fiberglass enclosures components to build with only range up to 300 bucks. i am actually going to build my own... i have spend 200 on my materials and i got a few quotes that were well over 1000. good luck and if you need anymore advise or anything post it! hahhaha Seth

#3 ·
thanks for the reply, i was wondering myself if kenwood was marked up decently, that could explain why he wanted to go with all kenwood. i'm not sure what i'm gonna do, if i go with him i think i will just do cash, cause i could probably get more for my watch on ebay or something.

i guess i just feel weird, cause he hooked up my last car, and i feel a little obligated to go back to him again, and we are pretty good friends, so.. its just one of those things, thanks for the advice though.

#4 ·
seth had some good recommendations above, and no it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a quote or two from other audio shops. Your best bet would be to look around online and google the parts he wishes to sell you, if you spend a little time doing this you will learn quite a bit about car audio and what works well and doesn't. (especially with all the new sites with consumer opinions on them) On the topic of the watch, don't give it to the guy, don't sell it on ebay. you don't sell a rolex, you keep that and i bet you as you get older you will wear it more and more. Even if you don't wear it besides at nice functions, the rolex is always a great item to have lying around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.