is my 2 channel amp good or will i need a 4 channel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
B3M2W5i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to B3M2W5i
is my 2 channel amp good or will i need a 4 channel

of so heres the specs of what i have i was wondering if the amp is good for my set up or if you guys could recommend a 4 channel amp

5 1/4 components

250 watts max/125 rms
80hz-20khz
90 db

rear 6x9

500 watts max
30hz-30khz
97 db

amp

550 watts
2 channel

i also have a clarion pro audio head unit DXZ555MP

thanks guys all this stuff has just been sitting around waiting to get in my car for some time..
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Depends. Wattage by itself doesn't mean a lot. I've heard 20w/ch amps that are loads louder than 100w/ch amps. THD and S/N ratio are as important. Provided your amp is two ohm stable, you should be able to run that speaker system fine, but you won't have any fade control i.e. you won't be able to adjust the balance from front to rear.

A good four channel amp (.02THD or so) of 50W/ch would be a better plan as it would run at 4ohms and wouldn't generate as much heat thusly sounding better at high volumes and ultimately lasting longer.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so how would i wire it up? split some wire or what?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3M2W5i
so how would i wire it up? split some wire or what?

quote myself please help me out here..
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
A four channel amp should have four inputs and your headunit should have 4 outputs. Just run two sets of rca cables from the headunit to the amp and run 4 speaker wires to the existing speakers. It'll be more flexible that way.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
A four channel amp should have four inputs and your headunit should have 4 outputs. Just run two sets of rca cables from the headunit to the amp and run 4 speaker wires to the existing speakers. It'll be more flexible that way.
sounds right but how could i do it if i want to use my 2 channel amp?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Just wire in the left (front and rear) to the left channel and the same for the right side. You wont have a fader (F/R) but you will still have your correct L/R stereo music. Its not that big of deal (fader) its just that you front and rear speakers will get the exact same power. So if your rears (6x9"ers are typically louder than smaller ones, 90db compared to 97db in your case) are louder you dont get the benefit of making them quieter to match. Thats the flexibility I was speaking of.

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 01-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
how could i wire it? are there special types of wires or a splitter of some sort?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
not really just run the front left speaker to the left channel of the amp, then run the rear left speaker wire to the same two screws on the amps left channel

Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
thanks. got any tips on instaling a head unit?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
one last thing... i think i may just stick with the original wires to prevent myself from having to wire everything.. how could i wire an aftermarket head unit to work with the original speakers?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
that would be fine, you can actually get all the individual speaker wires at the factory amplifier thats in the trunk more than likely on the drivers side.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i would still have a factory amp even if i have the nokia speakers?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
There should be one, I havent seen a 325 yet that doesnt. Dont get too excited about it though, its only like 10-12 watts per channel RMS. ANY aftermarket amplifier will sound/perform better.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok last thing really! head unit mounting and installing so easy and obvious i shouldnt even ask or will it be harder than i think?

and btw i took a look at the amp and icant figure out the harness and where everything connects to..
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics