Mb Quart Esa213 Vs Infinity 5000cs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
docrobot is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I have read that the Infinity 5000CS 5 1/4" Car Speakers are very popular here, but as I now see these MB Quart ESA213 in the same store I am curious. I can't tell from hearing them in a oddly shaped sound room which would be better in my E36 325i... ghead

(For reference, I already have a Sony CDX-M8805X MP3 Deck in the Bimmer.)

Friends of mine in the local Car Audio SPL scene like MBQs but there is no result when I search for them here. Has anyone heard both Speakers used as Front Speakers in the same car? (Any installers here?)

The price is only $20 more for the MBQs...

As well, which speakers should I install to replace the rears?
docrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
look at crutchfield for the model numbers, compare the specs between each speaker. I have done this before and the infinitys WAY outperform the MBs...

look particularly at the sensitivity of the two: 91 compared to 84.6. the infinitys are more than twice as loud (gaining 3db is like doubling the power)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OKa4nJFqvNi/c...410&I=049PCE210

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OKa4nJFqvNi/c...ecs&i=1085010CS

half the price and much better sound, (its not a real fair comparison because its 5.25" to 4" but you should be able to get the 5.25 MBs from their website as long as theyre not afraid to post them.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Different Speakers, so not a fair comparison. Thanks for the effort though...
Old 05-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
ok i had to do a little "googling" to find yours and the infinity equivalent:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/pr...Ser=KAP&Cat=COS

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...test%5Fcookie=1

Almost 3 times the RMS power (35 to 85)

The infinitys have a true 5.25" woofer size. With their plus-one technology, that brings the woofer to the outside edge and not recessing it back 1/4" all the way around like most manufacturers.

4db louder

woofer material: mb quart still uses the poly-cone (like sony, pioneer), inifinty uses a woven 'glass cone that gives it it cool gray/green color and provides a more solid cone.

the tweeter is NOT titanium on the infinitys. titanium works great for jewelry or a pin in your broken kneecap, but they are a little harsh for quality car audio.

it doesnt say it on the infinity website, but they give a 2 year warranty from the factory on all kappa speakers, and 3 years on the subs.

I always suggest people to listen to the same song, same headunit, amp. crossover, etc. when comparing speakers. and dont change the volume, you will see that the infinitys play louder than probably anything else on the soundboard. I mean REALLY REALLY listen to them. Pick out a cymbal, listen to the differences, pick out a snare drum, a guitar lick, midbass, etc. REALLY listen to the individual instruments on each of the speakers.

louder is not neccesarily better. the MBs will have a more pronounced sound above 10K (the higher cymbal ranges), but thats about it. they are doing this because the titanium tweeters play these frequencies easier, but they cant play the full spectrum of high frequencies well.

if you still want the MBs after that, i will be suprised. :P

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 05-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Infinity 5000CS are installed and I turned down the treble to less than 0db from +7db! LOL!

Now it will take a few days for me to equalize the new sound.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
lol, thats funny :P....

you wont be dissappointed with your purchases.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
I had MB Quartz 5.25" and 6.5" Reference series in my previous Audi A4. They were sick! But to get good sound you reall wanna put them on a 4-channel amp!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hey, at 44 my loud stereo days are over. I used all that up when I was an FM Radio DJ and spent time backstage at too many concerts...

B)
Old 05-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by docrobot@May 26 2005, 08:25 AM
Hey, at 44 my loud stereo days are over. I used all that up when I was an FM Radio DJ and spent time backstage at too many concerts...

B)
[snapback]347942[/snapback]
Yeah, I know what you mean. Last weekend I saw Mark Knopfler live in Dublin. It was a brilliant show but by the end of the 2 and a bit hours my ears had had enough.

What a great musician he is. They played some Dire Straits and and some MK. Brilliant, just brilliant!!!
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The Fronts sound fantastic, especially compared to the factory rears!

Should I use the same components in the rear with some custom work on the rear deck, or use the Infinity 4 inch singles that would drop right in? Why didn't they go to 6 inch rounds or 6x8s? used

Oh, and thanks da_bull, for helping me decide that Infinity was the best choice!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by docrobot@May 27 2005, 12:08 PM
The Fronts sound fantastic, especially compared to the factory rears!

Should I use the same components in the rear with some custom work on the rear deck, or use the Infinity 4 inch singles that would drop right in? Why didn't they go to 6 inch rounds or 6x8s? used

Oh, and thanks da_bull, for helping me decide that Infinity was the best choice!
[snapback]348345[/snapback]
My choice is to use the same brand and series in your choice for the rears. There are subtle differences in the manufacturing of speakers that make them sound different from one another. Some of the things you like about the Infinitys may not be present in another brand, or worse yet may be totally opposite, which would hinder the performance of your new Infinity purchase.

6x8" are pretty much reserved for Fords. If the installation isnt that much more to get the same speakers installed, I would definitely do that. I am not really sure why they dont put a bigger speaker in some of these cars. The price difference is pennies between a factory 4" and a 6.5". A 6.5" ALWAYS will give more sound than a 4" (not neccessarily better, just more).

The only reason I would use a smaller speaker is if I had a sub to reproduce the bass frequencies. A smaller speaker will just not do that very well.

I am glad you are happy with your Infinitys. I think Infinity needs to give me a spiff for selling their product :P . Actually, when I did car audio, I had my choice of ANY speaker brand. I got to go to seminars, got sales rep samples, REALLY listen to differences (during the slow times of the day), try them in my own car, etc. etc. So its not really just specifications, even though Infinitys specs will muster the best of them out there dollar for dollar. Even the Reference line are great speakers for someone that cant afford the Kappas.

I have helped build a few championship cars (two of which have Focal, my choice over the Infinitys, if I can afford them)

http://www.competitiveaudio.com/ShowCars/chevelle.htm
http://www.competitiveaudio.com/Show...wcarsTalon.htm
and I've done the ground pounding thing too, with my ex-boss pictured:
http://www.competitiveaudio.com/Show...carsTurtle.htm

That about extends my online resume' :P

Glad I could help.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
So far, a basic flat EQ with (here we go...) Loudness turned on sounds the best on the CDX 8805x HU. Those Tweets are so clear and loud...

Its one of those cases where i am hearing new sounds and instruments in the songs I am playing IN THE CAR! My home theatre is THX Certified and the Infinitys reproduce more accurately!!!

WOW!

These are just the 5000cs Series Components; the Kappas must really be good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics