Line Driver? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
Line Driver?

Ok, so things are loud... but things are also still far too quiet.

I've noticed that my output jacks on my head unit are at 2.2vRMS.

I've got my amplifier gains cranked waaaay up to actually produce volume on my speakers. however I understand increasing gain can cause clipping. Which is a bad thing.

Whats the solution? I could go out and find a head unit with 5vRMS RCA preouts... however, would a line driver give me what I need by increasing RCA voltage? Would I suffer distortion/clipping problems if I used one or would it solve the problem of the low voltage outputs on my existing head unit?

Basically, what are the pros and cons of one of these things.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
2.2V really isnt all that bad. The only real con is price. If I remember correctly the Phoenix gold one that they used to make was around 300. With the better headunits out there, those things kinda went by the wayside. You might be able to find one used or something. The PG one bumped the line voltage to 9V if you needed and your amp could take lol...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Idk, I cranked my gain almost all the way up to simply get my speakers to produce some noise, even in the undersized box I had they wouldn't even hit unless the gain is about an 8th of a turn from max.

The only thing I can think that's causing it is low input voltage... It kinda freaks me out when i move that gain knob all the way up... somehow it just seems like somethings gonna blow up.

btw, is this what you're talking about?
PHOENIX GOLD SLD44 SIGNAL LINE DRIVER / LOC BRAND NEW - (eBay item 140168535165 end time Oct-21-07 18:14:33 PDT)

Last edited by d3ity; 10-20-2007 at 10:56 PM.
d3ity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah thats the new version. It goes up to 11V. Its been a while since I sold PG. For 49 bucks thats a pretty cheap fix if thats your problem. PG is good stuff.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
are there any cons of using one? am I going to lose signal quality?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Not really. Put it as close to the amp as you can. You should actually gain a little bit, because you will be kind of filtering out noise (hiss) from the system with the extra voltage.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
RF told me today not to exceed 6v...

So I'll be getting one of those within the next couple of days.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
nifty, lemme know how it works out for ya.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
I just got the beast.

However, it says to place it as close to the source as possible... not the amp.

Which is it?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
It wont matter as far as the amount of signal. What they are doing is preventing any noise from entering the system down the line, and amplifying that as well. By putting it in the front, you have your strong signal and noise really doesnt have a chance to enter in the RCAs, and even if it does the signal to noise ratio is much better than you had before. You can boost the signal up front, down the line, and then back it off at the amp. That way your amp is receiving a strong signal already, you dont have to crank your amp's gain up to get the same volume at the speakers, plus the noise from your car wont be heard (or shouldnt be heard anyways).

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
cool, thanks! Front it is... now I need a pile of RCAs.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
what amp and speakers you got?
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics