Let me try again in this forum... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SLICK RICK is an unknown quantity at this point
upgrading stereo in E46 328.

I have a bus. tape player and want to upgrade to business cd. Is it possible to upgrade to HK at the same time?

What all is needed?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
SLICK RICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I wish I knew for sure, seems like no one else knows either. The best advice I can give you on this is maybe. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the DIN plug on the bus. tape deck differs from the cd unit, but don't know that for sure. As for upgrading to HK, kinda waist of time IMO. If you were to go to the trouble of replacing all your speakers, you would be better served by buying good aftermarket speakers from Infinity, PolkAudio, MBQuart, etc.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
Quote:
Originally posted by SLICK RICK@Aug 28 2004, 03:00 PM
upgrading stereo in E46 328.

I have a bus. tape player and want to upgrade to business cd. Is it possible to upgrade to HK at the same time?

What all is needed?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
I'd bet good money that the CD player would be a plug-and-play installation. I've heard that the units have a security code that is required when the units are first powered up, so make sure to get that code if you buy a used unit. There are enough people upgrading their radios so you should be able to find one.

On the other hand, I wouldn't bother unless having the stock look is really important to you. I'd look for a used Nakamichi CD400 and pop that in there instead. There is an remote control add-on that allows you to retain the use of your steering-wheel buttons if that is your concern.

The speakers and amp realistically have to be replaced at the same time. If you've ever installed an aftermarket stereo then you'll find BMW's easy--all of the connections are conveniently located in the trunk.
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SLICK RICK is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've done some snooping around myself and it seems that the units are swappable.

I was also looking into being able to use the ipod in my car as well. I've heard conflicting information whether or not it's possible on a pre 2002 vehicle. There are some who seem to think that if you ahve the newer head unit, you can do it.

As for aftermarket, yes I would rather keep the stock unit. I already have and Alpine 9815 that I could use if I wanted to , but I don't like it.

Any recomendations on alarms?

SR
SLICK RICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mlomker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mlomker
Soundgate sells an adaptor that'll give you RCA inputs by tapping into the CD port in the trunk. I have one of their adaptors for XM Radio and it works as advertised.

http://www.soundgate.com/products/aux-in/bmw.htm
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics